Breeding barred rock rooster with buff Orpington hen

PlentifulPrairie

Songster
Mar 22, 2021
Wisconsin
I'm new to breeding, and have yet to do it. I have a barred rock roo and some buff Orpington pullets (as well as some barred rock hens). I'm curious has anyone bred a barred rock rooster with a buff Orpington hen? What did the offspring look like? If you have photos I'd love to see!

Also if there any books for breeding anyone has enjoyed please share. :)

Last edited:
I'm new to breeding, and have yet to do it. I have a barred rock roo and some buff Orpington pullets (as well as some barred rock hens). I'm curious has anyone bred a barred rock rooster with a buff Orpington hen? What did the offspring look like? If you have photos I'd love to see!
Here's a Heritage Plymouth Barred Rock X Buff Orpington cockerel. He's 11 weeks.
20210728_140826.jpg
20210728_140830.jpg
Him at 3 days old.
20210509_141332.jpg
20210509_141320.jpg

Yep.

Note: Father is a Heritage Plymouth Barred Rock, not the regular hatchery Barred Rock.

Here's the father, & possible mothers.
View attachment 2780485View attachment 2780486View attachment 2780487View attachment 2780488
Probably a really dumb question... But my barred rock looks just like that one. I did buy mine from a very small hatchery he was labeled heritage Plymouth barred rock... What's the difference between the heritage Plymouth barred rock and barred rock?

Probably a really dumb question... But my barred rock looks just like that one. I did buy mine from a very small hatchery he was labeled heritage Plymouth barred rock... What's the difference between the heritage Plymouth barred rock and barred rock?
Heritage Plymouth Barred Rocks conform to the Standard of Perfection. Minor flaws are to be expected.

Regular Hatchery Barred Rocks, don't conform to the SOP, barring is more sloppy. Have more flaws, such as squirrel tail, & body shape is more rounded rather then square. Not all have squirrel tail.

Heritage Plymouth Barred Rocks.
Screenshot_20210731-133516_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210731-133543_Chrome.jpg
Hatchery Stock.
Screenshot_20210731-134001_Chrome.jpg

Makes sense. They're legs look more yellow too it seems. Thank you for the information, I appreciate it. My hens were ordered from a different place, I think they look more typical hatchery like. They look those from the Dunlap photo.

Makes sense. They're legs look more yellow too it seems. Thank you for the information, I appreciate it. My hens were ordered from a different place, I think they look more typical hatchery like. They look those from the Dunlap photo.
Mine are from Meyer's Hatchery, they breed for both Quality, & Quantity.

Back
Top Bottom