1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Breeding BBW?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by 19disbre, Mar 24, 2016.

1. 19disbre

19disbre Chirping

Jan 26, 2015
    I want to breed my own meat turkey, I know BBW can't mate naturally but I was thinking a white holland and a BBW Hen. Has anybody ever tried breeding your own meat turkey? I know I can't match the feed ratios and stuff but I hope to come close.

2. FarmerMac

FarmerMac Chirping

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia
    It may work for one season maybe two if she does not develop issues. I had a BBB that lasted two year before she could not walk. The smaller tom should work ok for the matting.

3. 19disbre

19disbre Chirping

Jan 26, 2015
    You think I could use a small tom (BBW) and a hen (BBW) as long as she doesn't develop issues? Did I understand that or did you mean some other combination? Also are white holland smaller than BBW?

4. FarmerMac

FarmerMac Chirping

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia
    I have
    By the time the BBB tom is ready to mate he will be huge maybe over 30 lbs. I believe that a heritage tom, Bronze, Narragansett, Royal Palm, Holland or Bourbon should be light enough to mate with a BBB or BBW hen. Last season my heritage toms weighted just a little over 15 lbs at 6 months, while the BBB were over 30 by Thanks Giving (mine hatched in May and bought the BBB) now the heritage toms must weight around 20-25. The Holland turkey should be ok, a mature ton weights about 30 lbs. still are smaller than the BBW.

5. 19disbre

19disbre Chirping

Jan 26, 2015
    Sounds like a white holland tom on a BBW hen then? What would you guys predict as far as growth rate, feed conversion etc? Am I saving any money at 6 per poult. Next year it may be up to 100 turkey poults ill need so even a dollar savings is good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by