breeding brother to sister

Diamante

Songster
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
Southwest, Ohio
Ive heard people say not to breed brother to sister for genetic reasons but others say theyve done it with no problem. What are your thoughts on this? Please explain it so its easy to understand, im clueless about genetics haha.

Brother sister matings should only be utilized when:

1. Setting a strain.
2. No other birds can be found.
3. The original parent birds were excellent.

Brother sister matings are very useful; however, you have to know what you are doing, what you are looking for and what you've started with. These are very important consideration.

Do you mind sharing what you are working with and why you are considering this type of mating? Also, how long you've been breeding chickens?

I only breed for fun. The only fertile eggs I have right now are from brothers and sisters and I want babies so im tempted to hatch. They are seramas from a pair of pumpkins, so if I bred brothers and sisters would that produce more pumpkins or not?

Pumpkin is a weird color, but the answer is 'yes.'

Breeding brother sister once is no problem whatsoever. If the parents were brother sister then hatch rate might be a bit off but that is about all. You might see some crooked toes/beaks but might not at all. Go for it.

Im tring to keep my bloodline. I have brother and sister but i dont know how breeding this way works. EXAMPLE: 1/2 spanish 1/2 asele. i breed brother and sister. Would the chicks be 1/spanish 1/2 asele?

Ive heard people say not to breed brother to sister for genetic reasons but others say theyve done it with no problem. What are your thoughts on this? Please explain it so its easy to understand, im clueless about genetics haha.

You can usually safely inbreed chickens for 4-5 generations before they start having any real inbreeding problems, but I would personally recommend infusing some new blood into the flock with the 3rd generation.

Brother sister matings should only be utilized when:

1. Setting a strain.
2. No other birds can be found.
3. The original parent birds were excellent.

Brother sister matings are very useful; however, you have to know what you are doing, what you are looking for and what you've started with. These are very important consideration.

Do you mind sharing what you are working with and why you are considering this type of mating? Also, how long you've been breeding chickens?
Saladin: I have a pair of half roundhead half leiper that are throwbacks from the spangled roundheads that the roundhead side was originally created from. So the roundhead cock and the leiper hen were both and still are excellent birds so my question is should I breed the throw backs together and set them as family and do you think the offspring will be spangled like them?

Back
Top Bottom