1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

breeding buffs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by buff chicken, Nov 10, 2010.

1. buff chicken

buff chicken New Egg

Nov 8, 2010
    what other colors is there that i can breed my buff to to get a buff chick?? [​IMG]

buff chicken
    [​IMG]

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    buff, if you want to breed pure buff. [​IMG]

3. buff chicken

buff chicken New Egg

Nov 8, 2010
    but im trying to breed my buff OEGB and i cant find a hen for my cockerel.
    [​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Buff is not as simple a color as others - It consists of a lot of genetics to actually be a true buff. The ONLY other color you could breed it to, and even still get some faults, is Wheaten. But, even then, you don't get a true buff. You get some golden and buff type birds with black smudging, pencilling, and leaking.

I'd recommend looking for breeders who have hatching eggs or spares.

5. danhonour

danhonour Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Dutchess County,NY
    These replies are right.I have been helping a friend with his Buff OEG bantams for a number of years.Yes Wheaton OEGB was used and Buff Leghorn bantams.It is a hard combination to get,as you need to use a good colored buff bird and Buff Leghorn bantams are the smallest tightest feathered buff breed to pick and yes they are not as tight feathered as OE,leg color needs to be white and lobes red.Usually more than one cross or backcross to pure buff is needed to set the color genes.Wheaton color faults persist,white -mealy breasts and wings,red shoulders,white undercolor and white quills,back markings,black in tails and wings.You can also get white in tail and wings if the Buff Leghorns are carrying dominant white. If you can locate some Buff OEG bantams ,you will save yourself lots of time and culls. Dan Honour

6. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    What if you bred a Buff Rooster to a Red Pyle (i hope i got that spelling right)? I looked it up and it would create buff males and buff females with columbian pattern, so would breeding the females back to the first rooster help rid the columbian pattern?

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Then your search is quite wrong. . . Red Pyle is dom white on Duckwing. Crossing the two will create 50% chance of, well, an Easter Egger type look (looks like a Red Pyle but isn't) and 50% chance of the dun allele being in a very wildtype looking bird. It would have a lot of black pencilling, some creamy color, and so on. You'd basically create a mutt.

If you're using the Chicken Calculator, just because they describe it to look like Buff doesn't mean it is. Remember, it tells you the nearest it would know to the color. [​IMG] If I crossed a black and a brown-red, it tells me I get black. But really, I get something very similar or practically identical in appearance to Black Copper, and genetically the crowwing is dominant.

You've got to look at the genetics. . . Red Pyle x Buff gives you part wheaten (what you need) part duckwing (what you don't need) - When crossing those two alleles, the duckwing type visually dominates.

8. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    [​IMG] I give up on this genetic thing!

9. danhonour

danhonour Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Dutchess County,NY
    Again good advice.The chicks would be split wheaton/Duckwing and would likily have alot of white (dominant white in the pile).Perhaps breeding f1 pullets back to pure buff father OEG bantam,might give you a few buffs on wheaton .However dominant white may still persist.Selecting those with pepper in tails and wings might help you get around dominant white.Like I said,try to locate more buffs or at least a female. An all red (no black tailed Reds) OEG bantam might work,but they are as rare and would take years to lighten.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by