Breeding Cochins

I can't answer that question without knowing what your goals are. Why do you want to breed them? What's the purpose?
I am breeding the Cochins to sell to others in the NW AR area. My goal is to breed Cochins that are good quality/healthy and desirable colors that others would be interested in. Does that help? The eggs will all be incubated, hatched and sold.

I am breeding the Cochins to sell to others in the NW AR area. My goal is to breed Cochins that are good quality/healthy and desirable colors that others would be interested in. Does that help? The eggs will all be incubated, hatched and sold.
So you want to breed quality, pure-bred Cochins, that are standard (APA/ABA accepted) colors?

Correct. Also I am unsure what the chicks will look like if I breed my mottled Cochin bantam hens to my splash standard size Cochin roo.
Okay so going off what you have currently:
Hens:
1 black Cochin (possibly a mix)
2 dark blue standard size Cochins
5 molted bantam Cochins

Roos:
1 splash (I think) standard size Cochin roo
1 white/black frizzle roo
1 red Cochin bantam roo
1 multi colored Cochin bantam
The only birds that will breed consistently and throw correctly marked offspring are the BBS birds. The large fowl Splash(?) cockerel crossed to the two large fowl Blue pullets will throw Blue and Splash chicks. The Black Cochin and that male will produce all Blue chicks. If she is mixed and not Cochin they will still be Blue, but the physical characteristics of the chicks may not be the same. I'd test breed her and if the birds from that pairing produce decent pet-quality chicks then she could stay in the breeding program.

Technically the Mottled Bantam hens would also follow the BBS rule, although I wouldn't cross a large fowl and a bantam together personally. I would find a Mottled Bantam rooster and put it over them.

I'd rehome the Red and mixed color cockerels. The Frizzle appears to be a Birchin. If you can find smooth-feathered Birchin pullets or hens you could keep him and set up a third breeding pen. If you can't I'd rehome him also as the three males with no appropriately colored females to breed are just going to produce leaky and mis-marked chicks with the hens you have available. Of course, you could always acquire some Red pullets to put with the red male. The mixed boy is worthless from a breeding standpoint unless someone is just wanting to produce chicks and don't care what color they will be.

This is the type of feedback I was hoping for!! Thx you so much!!
Okay so going off what you have currently:

The only birds that will breed consistently and throw correctly marked offspring are the BBS birds. The large fowl Splash(?) cockerel crossed to the two large fowl Blue pullets will throw Blue and Splash chicks. The Black Cochin and that male will produce all Blue chicks. If she is mixed and not Cochin they will still be Blue, but the physical characteristics of the chicks may not be the same. I'd test breed her and if the birds from that pairing produce decent pet-quality chicks then she could stay in the breeding program.

Technically the Mottled Bantam hens would also follow the BBS rule, although I wouldn't cross a large fowl and a bantam together personally. I would find a Mottled Bantam rooster and put it over them.

I'd rehome the Red and mixed color cockerels. The Frizzle appears to be a Birchin. If you can find smooth-feathered Birchin pullets or hens you could keep him and set up a third breeding pen. If you can't I'd rehome him also as the three males with no appropriately colored females to breed are just going to produce leaky and mis-marked chicks with the hens you have available. Of course, you could always acquire some Red pullets to put with the red male. The mixed boy is worthless from a breeding standpoint unless someone is just wanting to produce chicks and don't care what color they will be.

This is the type of feedback I was hoping for!! Thx you so much!!
No problem!
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

The large fowl Splash(?) cockerel crossed to the two large fowl Blue pullets will throw Blue and Splash chicks. The Black Cochin and that male will produce all Blue chicks. If she is mixed and not Cochin they will still be Blue, but the physical characteristics of the chicks may not be the same.
I should mention that if you get any Black chicks from that male over those hens he is in fact Blue and not Splash.

Back
Top Bottom