Breeding Delawares to the Standard of Perfection

I think "Standard" breeding selection itself should improve laying ... if good laying is indeed related to good type. So there's that.

Then, if it makes sense that if you want to improve egg size, you hatch from larger eggs.

If you want to improve winter laying, you maybe hatch eggs in the winter, or snag birds from the nests in winter and mark them so you can be sure to breed from them in spring.

And so on.

But you balance that against your other breeding goals. Hatcheries are already selecting for early laying and lots of eggs, I'd think, but at the cost of some other important stuff.
I totally agree

Am I on the wrong thread to Learn about breeding delawares? If so I'm sorry meant no offense. . I was really just curious about managing practices
Delawares in now days are very good layers the main issue here is body type. They look more like leghorns with delaware color. So I "(we)" really don't think egg production is a problem. Some delawares from hatcheries even have white ears. So I highly recommend you to focus on body type first and they still should be very good layers.!

Delawares in now days are very good layers the main issue here is body type. They look more like leghorns with delaware color. So I "(we)" really don't think egg production is a problem. Some delawares from hatcheries even have white ears. So I highly recommend you to focus on body type first and they still should be very good layers.!

Thanks Mr king.. the hen I got she lays pretty much every day.. I was curious what tips some breeders had is all.. like Leslie said if you want to increase your lines winter laying ability.. hatch more in winter..

Thanks Mr king.. the hen I got she lays pretty much every day.. I was curious what tips some breeders had is all.. like Leslie said if you want to increase your lines winter laying ability.. hatch more in winter..
Your welcome! Stick around and you will learn alot from this people.

White ears would be a pretty good clue about the breeding background.
hmm.png
Kinda like the white legs.

As we're in the new era of Delawares, and we're all starting wherever it is that we are, which I think is what it is, and likely will never be what it once was advertised to be, I don't think I'd tell someone "don't bother." But certainly it makes it more difficult to decide where to start with the breed if there's so much variety available. That's why I think it is so useful to share as much info about the breeding history of the birds as we can when we're discussing our own flocks. Then people can either choose to follow in our footsteps, or find a different path.

I think the point about the early POL of "hatchery" birds is a good place to pause and think about what we want to do with our Delawares, though. If that is truly important to someone, then embrace it. Same with fast feathering and early growth. It may take a while for all the various breeders to incorporate all the variables into one line.

About the reported historic "good winter laying" of Delawares, do we know the type of management behind that? Did it require artificial light? Did it require off-season hatching? It's not 100% up to the birds to perform for us despite what challenges we humans may offer them, we have to give them their best chance if we want the best out of them.

White ears would be a pretty good clue about the breeding background. :/  Kinda like the white legs. 

As we're in the new era of Delawares, and we're all starting wherever it is that we are, which I think is what it is, and likely will never be what it once was advertised to be, I don't think I'd tell someone "don't bother." But certainly it makes it more difficult to decide where to start with the breed if there's so much variety available. That's why I think it is so useful to share as much info about the breeding history of the birds as we can when we're discussing our own flocks. Then people can either choose to follow in our footsteps, or find a different path.

I think the point about the early POL of "hatchery" birds is a good place to pause and think about what we want to do with our Delawares, though. If that is truly important to someone, then embrace it. Same with fast feathering and early growth. It may take a while for all the various breeders to incorporate all the variables into one line. 

About the reported historic "good winter laying" of Delawares, do we know the type of management behind that? Did it require artificial light? Did it require off-season hatching? It's not 100% up to the birds to perform for us despite what challenges we humans may offer them, we have to give them their best chance if we want the best out of them. 
That's right.! Someone on Facebook were selling "show quality Delawares" and of the pics the rooster have like 3/4 of the ears white. And Of course he was very slim. I now have 3 lines which will breed separately (each to same line) to see difference on them. Selecting breeders according to SOP book. We'll see how that goes. I love Delawares!

That's right.! Someone on Facebook were selling "show quality Delawares" and of the pics the rooster have like 3/4 of the ears white. And Of course he was very slim. I now have 3 lines which will breed separately (each to same line) to see difference on them. Selecting breeders according to SOP book. We'll see how that goes. I love Delawares!

I think a lot of people have never really read the Standard of Perfection, and if so maybe haven't really studied the first 35/40 pages. Maybe they think going to a show and not getting disqualified is good enough. But also probably the Delawares don't have a lot of competition from within the breed. There are so many details to the Standard, it takes some effort to absorb it all so you know what you're looking for ... even more to apply it.

Definitely if you can get some hands-on time with a mentor going over your birds and maybe some better birds, too, it can really help. It doesn't replace reading the Standard, but it sure helps in figuring out how to apply the info.

Edited: I'm lucky enough to have two great mentors in my breeding team, both of whom have quick eyes and enough patience to help me learn. Also, our youth partner is a GREAT listener, hangs out with poultry people, and has some amazing things to share.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people have never really read the Standard of Perfection, and if so maybe haven't really studied the first 35/40 pages. Maybe they think going to a show and not getting disqualified is good enough. But also probably the Delawares don't have a lot of competition from within the breed. There are so many details to the Standard, it takes some effort to absorb it all so you know what you're looking for ... even more to apply it. 

Definitely if you can get some hands-on time with a mentor going over your birds and maybe some better birds, too, it can really help. It doesn't replace reading the Standard, but it sure helps in figuring out how to apply the info. 

Edited: I'm lucky enough to have two great mentors in my breeding team, both of whom have quick eyes and enough patience to help me learn. Also, our youth partner is a GREAT listener, hangs out with poultry people, and has some amazing things to share. 
1f44d.png
unfortunately I don't have anyone that can be my mentor i guess I'll be my own
1f602.png

Last edited:
I guess if you take it or can take it to a show its " show quality" . All of which means little. Now if they win Best of Breed with 50 same class competitors that means a lot more. Worth crowing about !
big_smile.png
Its the chicken world buyer beware.

Back
Top Bottom