Breeding for long laying season

hedgemoo

Chirping
Aug 22, 2020
I'm curious if anyone has tried, or had any success with, breeding for a long laying season. Is it something quail vary in much? Do they vary within a flock or does everyone stop laying together in autumn? Or is winter lighting so commonly used that this is considered a non issue?

I haven’t tried breeding for long laying season which quail species are you talking about? I think you’re talking about Japanese and as long heat and light is provided they’ll lay fine. Obviously weather isn’t something that is always in favour of laying but... at least eggs will come eventually.

Yes, am talking about Japanese.

I suppose i was thinking about birds that were more likely to carry on for longer in autumn without artificial light being provided.

I'm just starting out as a breeder and thinking through what direction I want to go in with my flock. This is something I'm considering working on, but had never seen discussed.

Okay sounds cool! 😃
I give mine lighting. My husband weed whacked my solar Xmas lights, so they were spottily lit for a few days and half stopped laying. After about a week of regular light supplementation, I got an egg from everyone yesterday. Most people don’t light because it basically can shorten the birds’ lives by making them keep producing eggs without a break, I would imagine if you found birds who don’t care about the lighting and lay anyway, you would still have the issues of affecting life expectancy. Imo if you want to breed for something special, maybe breed for something you can not easily alter by adding something to the cage. Maybe breed for egg or bird size, temperament for being pets etc.

Back
Top Bottom