Breeding for non-broodiness scares me

hecatesmoon

Songster
7 Years
May 15, 2012
MO chicken keeper since 4/2012
I read a lot about people buying breeds for non-broodiness. I know people want eggs- I do too- but there's something scary to me about breeding the drive to continue one's own species OUT of an animal, any animal, but especially one we rely on as a food source. I know broodiness means LESS eggs, but somehow, creating an almost total dependency on human beings to continue breeding seems...dangerous. What if we couldn't run down to the local feed store and buy more chicks anymore for some reason, and other things related? It is undoubtedly a pain in the butt to lose some fresh eggs, but it seems a lot safer to me to keep nature's programming going.

If society as we know it ends, then you go and buy some chicks from a neighbor that has always had a disorganized backyard flock and is surprised when baby chicks appear. Then only expect eggs seasonally, and not many at that.

Since I never buy chicks from the local feed store, I would like to point out that buying chicks from the feed store is not the only option for obtaining chicks.

I agree with you Hecatesmoon, I have purposefully chosen my current breeds based on broody characteristics and winter egg laying..... On our farm we lean towards being resilient and prepared....

Also, like Oregon Blues, we don't buy from feed stores :)

That's where I bought mine, was just the local feed store, but I'm hoping I never have to go out and buy chickens from anywhere again within a few years, at least not out of neccessity. Things may not go wrong today or tomorrow or even the next hundred years. Maybe longer! But they will go wrong. We won't always have control of things...really we don't now when you really get down to it. We forget though that we aren't really in charge. I just needed to spew that thread out there and get it off muh chest. My gut says this is a baaaaaad thing. Now its spewed. :p

If your lucky enough to get a broody breed, you may never have to buy another chick!

I feel the same about breeding non-broody hens and "Franken-seeds" - it just isn't right!

......And, uh, feel free to spew anytime
gig.gif
......You're right, we're not really in charge (of anything)....

Thanks. :) sometimes I feel the need to say something, but don't have anyone to say it to. I have to get it out though so I post it somewhere to get it out of my system. I call it mental/emotional vomit. Hehe Once I say it, I feel a little better, just like a person would if they threw up. :p

heccatesmoon, this is the right place to discuss it and it is an interesting concept.

I want eggs, so I don't allow my ducks to set. Maybe they would go broody, maybe they wouldn't. I don't want them taking a couple of months off from laying every time they start to feel maternal.

My geese, on the other hand, I insist that they do their own brooding and hatching and rear their own offspring. Geese and ganders both had better be good parents, or they get culled.

There are different requirements for different types of livestock. Beef cattle are expected to raise their own calves. Dairy cattle aren't. Pigs raise their own offspring, as do rabbits. Some breeds of turkey do and some don't.

It all depends upon what use the stock is put to.

There are plenty of chickens who will hatch their own chicks. if you want all your chicks to be naturally hatched and reared, then you buy breeds that will raise their own young. If your family income depends upon a steady supply of eggs to sell, and your kids are going to go hungry if the chickens don't lay eggs, then you buy breeds that don't take time out to go broody.

There are probably thousands of breeds of chicken out there. Decide what you want a chicken to do and then buy the breed that does what you want a chicken to do. There is no law, and no peer pressure, that says you must buy white Leghorns. Nor can you make the generalization that all chickens are bred to not go broody.

I know there are still broody breeds, but I wonder sometimes just how far we might go with human beings being so confident in themselves. BUT I have been reading, and from what I found, if I understood correctly, it would be easier to breed broodiness back into chickens if neccessary than it has been to breed it out. I was reading about broody hens too, and though it isn't supposed to happen, it seems there are plenty of people who do end up with a broody non-broody breed hen which is comforting in that it shows natures insistance on its own design. I don't judge anyone negatively who wants a non broody breed, I just worry about it. I decided I want mutts! :D I found out that the blue egg gene is dominant so I want blue eggs... or green...or pink. I want broodiness so I'm throwing in some cochins and orpingtons, and I want friendliness and docility so again with the orpingtons. Hopefully, I can make a whole flock of broody easter eggers eventually!

Back
Top Bottom