BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Quote: Probably similar to the conversation I had with a TSA at the airport when I was carrying Oklahoma grown cucumbers to my then pregnant Oklahoma raised daughter who was living in Tennessee. I had them in my carry on bag in a paper sack with a note of explanation inside. They put me thru the metal detector holding the sack.
lau.gif

@GabrielBane

Here are some older photos of my Columbian Wyandotte crossed with a Buckeye hen.

Butchered him at 11 months along with some other culls.. lots of nice meat on the legs and thighs and a presentable breast. Brined for 48 hours , stuffed with onions and carrots, draped in bacon strips and slow roasted in the crock pot...very tasty and tender.

Last edited:
@GabrielBane

Here are some older photos of my Columbian Wyandotte crossed with a Buckeye hen.

Butchered him at 11 months along with some other culls.. lots of nice meat on the legs and thighs and a presentable breast. Brined for 48 hours , stuffed with onions and carrots, draped in bacon strips and slow roasted in the crock pot...very tasty and tender.

Built just like a Buck!?

Quote: Yes, for the most part. Leg length, comb and carriage were very similar. The leg thickness and heart shape of the Wyandotte as well as the overall width was evident. The gentle nature of both breeds was nice too. The dark meat of the Buckeye with the keel of the Wyandotte. The breast meat was not white, but more dark tinged.
This was an accidental F1 breeding with a nice outcome. I had kept the breeds separate and had a Wyandotte cock fly over into the Buckeye pen and out again. I grew out the two chicks just to see what would come of it. Both were cockerels so can't speak on egg production.

Here are Wyandotte photos for comparison. The cock and then a cockerel with a few CW hens and a Cochin. The second photo also has a great Wyandotte layer flock rooster on the left...CW over White Wyandotte that I kept because of his size.

Last edited:
I know we aren't supposed to talk politics but after yesterday's results.......I guess it would have been the same either way but, well, those of you who want to move North, you are more than welcome here !
hugs.gif

But bring your chickens, some breeds are tough to get this side of the border.

There are a few from Canada that come down in my area to winter here. They seem to be more interested in horses and roping steers, but they could maybe be picking up eggs of certain breeds for hatching if they wanted to.

@GabrielBane

Oh, wow! Beautiful birds both before and after processing! (I may have to try out that crock pot recipe. Anything with bacon makes me happy.
smile.png
)

That crockpot recipe sounds amazing and that Wyandotte x BE crosses are gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!

*whispers* I'm in trouble... I found out we live less than an hour from BrinSea's store in Titusville... may or may not have purchased a new incubator.... *whispers* without telling the SO
1f62d.png

That crockpot recipe sounds amazing and that Wyandotte x BE crosses are gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!

*whispers* I'm in trouble... I found out we live less than an hour from BrinSea's store in Titusville... may or may not have purchased a new incubator.... *whispers* without telling the SO
1f62d.png
You will not regret owning a BrinSea. I have two of them and they are the best investment in chicken equipment I have made in decades.

The Buckeye cross and the wyandottes are gorgeous.
Thank you.
Because the meat was wonderful too, I'm going to set up a pen this spring to hatch from to see what the girls produce in eggs and put the cockerels in the freezer. Might even try an F2 cross next year just to see what falls out of the breeding in terms of color and conformation.
My older laying hens (BSL, Maran, Australorp) are beginning to die off at 6 - 8 years of age and replacements are fun to grow up. As long as a hen is laying and is a good brood mother, I have allowed them to live a long full life.

Back
Top Bottom