BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Obviously we have different circumstances.  Since the grass has been growing like wildfire here, the birds are eating less fermented product of all types ( as mentioned, I ferment my grains separately) and tearing up the grass, worms and bugs.  I use one of those blue food-grade 30 gallon containers that are pretty easily picked up around here but I don't fill it like I do in cold months.

Fish meal is great but I wouldn't ferment it at all but add it as top-dressing.  Fish and other meats can certainly be fermented but requires a different process so If were you, I'd feed the fish meal as I said and ferment a mixture that is meat-free.

Your temps. are perfect for fermenting chicken feed.  I would keep it in a shaded area but the temps. could be an advantage for you as when you back-slop. you will have well fermented feed by the next morning.

This is based upon my experiences.  It does get hot as hell here in KY and we frequently hit the 100 + degrees a few times each summer.

EDIT:  With the fish meal, you may well have seen mold or other unhealthy substance.  Fish meal is easily found separate from the chicken feed and just as easily added at feed time.  I'm back with the shaved horse meat but I have use fish meal with equal satisfaction...the birds love both!!!

I have access to as much 40% condensed whey as I want, birds just don't like it mixed in to there feed. Might be the fact it is a acid whey from cottage cheese production, bit sour. Most cheese produces a sweet whey. They had a big $$ project trying to use our acid whey in our product to save big $$ cause we buy powdered sweet whey for the dressing that goes in the cottage cheese. Didn't work out, tried many different R&D trials, all failed the taste test. Why I mention this is they, the 'big wigs' from corporate, all had a good laugh in one of our quarterly meetings. I had mentioned I mixed the condensed whey in my chicken feed and they wouldn't even eat it.
"My God! His chickens won't even eat it! We're wasting our time! Chickens will eat thier own sh!t!!"
Lol!
1f602.png

I picked up a road killed deer this winter with the plan of freezing and feeding it to the birds, free protein.
Sorry birds will miss out, was in too good of shape, just ground up 25lbs and some pork for venison pepperoni
1f603.png

Last edited:
I have access to as much 40% condensed whey as I want, birds just don't like it mixed in to there feed. Might be the fact it is a acid whey from cottage cheese production, bit sour. Most cheese produces a sweet whey. They had a big $$ project trying to use our acid whey in our product to save big $$ cause we buy powdered sweet whey for the dressing that goes in the cottage cheese. Didn't work out, tried many different R&D trials, all failed the taste test. Why I mention this is they, the 'big wigs' from corporate, all had a good laugh in one of our quarterly meetings. I had mentioned I mixed the condensed whey in my chicken feed and they wouldn't even eat it.
"My God! His chickens won't even eat it! We're wasting our time! Chickens will eat thier own sh!t!!"
Lol!
1f602.png

I picked up a road killed deer this winter with the plan of freezing and feeding it to the birds, free protein.
Sorry birds will miss out, was in too good of shape, just ground up 25lbs and some pork for venison pepperoni
1f603.png
gig.gif

No you haven't, everyone is just super busy getting more chickens at the moment!
wink.png

That's true. I just got a new Blue Australorp rooster yesterday evening, and put him in the coop with 5 hens right before dark. I have been out there watching them today to make sure they were all adapting to each other. The hens must have got confused, because I found 3 eggs on the floor of the coop this afternoon, instead of all in the nesting box where they usually lay them at.

Yep, no one can kill this thread...we are just a little busy in the Spring....
We just finished Spring calving (25) with the older cows and are beginning calving month with the first time heifers. Have 11 due this month and the first was born last night at 11 pm....no problems.
The garden is ready for tomatoes, peppers, squash and cucumbers after April 8...our average last freeze.
And eggs in the hatcher due tomorrow include a few ducks.
Rushing to get the duck house finished for the adult trio so I will have the tank for brooding the duck babies.
Brooding 80 Columbian Wyandotte chicks now with three more hatches due before my trip to Santa Fe in early May.
Glad we are "retired"!

Back
Top Bottom