BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    [​IMG]

2. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    As long as you enjoy the birds, you will continue to move forward. You have the practical sense to do well if you decide that you enjoy them enough to continue investing in them.

3. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    I always recommend standing on the shoulders of others that have gone before you. It is the fastest way to move forward faster. No need to reinvent the wheel--just attempt to make a rounder one.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    I certainly won't argue that point. That's why I've spent so much time reading all the old books, talking to people who breed for production as well as specifically for SOP and show, etc. All I'm suggesting is that it's best not to get overwhelmed by the "what ifs" and to actually put a plan into practice. As we've previously discussed, there's a lot of conflicting information out there. One person's "ideal bird" is another person's "okay at best" bird. I'm simply trying to offer encouragement to take that leap and learn from personal successes and mistakes as well as from that wealth of knowledge. Seeing the results first-hand is far more helpful for some of us that all the literature and instruction in the world.

1 person likes this.
  5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Very true.

Bob blosl played around with his Mowhawks, selecting for morning layers. Very cool. Makes it easier to have all the eggs laid before letting the girls out for the day. ( I dont know if he free ranged, just that this trait would be good fo r me.)

6. gjensen

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    . . . and I was not disputing. I was agreeing. I just took an opportunity to add some thoughts.

1 person likes this.
  7. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    This is my favorite thread right now!

Amazing and friendly discussion.

Thanks!

8. gjensen

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    Birds lay most of their eggs early, but lay a little later every day, then it starts over. It is a circadian rhythm of sorts.

9. gjensen

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    Ron, have you started collecting eggs yet? I am trying to resist a bit longer. I have the bug though.

10. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    No but I am about ready. I am getting three eggs a day from my four Pita Pinta hens. The Penedesenca eggs are getting close to 50 g in size and the Arkansas blues are nearly there too.

This year I will try some hatching to order for locals and see how that goes. I also need to get enough chicks hatched to make some good culling decisions this year. I also need to get plenty of meat from those Pita Pinta cockerels this year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by