BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Nice carcass! Is that really a Dark Cornish? I did not know they had a barred feather pattern? No need to use a hybrid with that kind of performance.
It is 50% Dark Cornish/50% Cornish Roaster(Murray McMurray) Both parents have the same Sire-BamBam my Dark Cornish cock bird. They have diffrent Moms.
Bob 50%DC/50%WCR

Bob on the scale
Pebbles

Pebbles 50%DC/50%WCR as a young pullet
Pebbles as a chick

@lpatelski very, very nice. What impresses me the most about your chickens is the nice balance between the large breast and the legs- today's cornish cross seems to be all breast with tiny little legs and wings.
Any chance you are keeping records of the number/quality of eggs the hens in your line are laying?

It would be nice to see a processed rainbow chicken, if anyone has a photo please post! they look very good with the feathers on but it's hard to tell what they are like under there.
Pebbles(P)DOH 10/13/15 - an F1
Yes I have a spreadsheet. Auggie was Pebbles second egg. She has laid 52 eggs since 4/25/16 (18 did not hatch) 65% hatch rate. Egg weights range from 54.5g (her first egg) to 66.5g.

Last edited:
@lpatelski very, very nice. What impresses me the most about your chickens is the nice balance between the large breast and the legs- today's cornish cross seems to be all breast with tiny little legs and wings.
Any chance you are keeping records of the number/quality of eggs the hens in your line are laying?

Yes, fantastic carcasses and record keeping!

Quote:
for what's it worth, had freedom rangers but no pictures... Huge, massive thighs on these. Nice big breasts but it was clear their breasts were not as filled out as cx or lpateski's cornish. by the way- some of the freedoms showed obvious/probable cornish influence- low, very wide 'rounded' bodies with legs set far apart.

Picked up a couple chicks from feed store last fall labeled as cx but they did not grow at monstrous speeds, suspect they were slow growing strain or?? not too sure on what they were as I never raised any cx before and they were severely feed restricted with the goal of breeding with NN. Those had extremely long and very nice breasts(even the pullet had a huge long breast) but their legs were so skimpy..

It would be nice to see a processed rainbow chicken, if anyone has a photo please post! they look very good with the feathers on but it's hard to tell what they are like under there.
I will be processing a few next week and will take pics of them dressed out.

Purebred Dark Cornish pullet #63 DOH- 3/23/16 - day 140 - 20 weeks live weight 6 pounds 1.5oz
Dressed weight 4 pounds 1.8oz

========================================================================
Dark Cornish Cockerel#64 DOH 3/23/16 processed at day 134 - 4 pounds 11.4 oz - after brine

Dark Cornish cockerel #82 DOH 4/4/16 processed on day 122 - 4 pounds 2.8oz - after brine

Last edited:
Hi,
Somewhere someone was discussing how to improve egg production. I went looking around at herbs and plants to help and time after time the articles from the herbalists and their books kept suggesting dried crushed nettle leaves. Not sure which kind of nettle or how much to give ( will the birds just take as much as they need like with the grit?) But throwing this out there if anyone is interested.
Best,
Karen
I'm grabbing this quote sort of Helter Skelter because I know dad talked to 3riverschick about selling or otherwise providing her (you) some chantecler chicks. I think this provides a good explanation as to why Jason has been so generous to me, providing me with several birds that I thought he would never part with. It seems he was cleaning house to a certain extent. I hear through the grapevine that Jason is in possession of a very large bunch of white chantecler chicks (of various ages) and he will offer NO explanation or hint from wince they came. He and a companion went for a short vacation that took them near the Canadian border. I haven't even seen a picture of them but I hear they take up 4 large inside brooders. I'll have to play my cards right, keep a low profile and try to be there in about 8 months to beg him out of 4 or 5 cockerels...that will satisfy me. Apparently dad had paid someone for these chicks several months before he passed away and the breeder wouldn't even consider returning the cash. I don't think I would have either....Get someone in in a fix then kick them. If they came from where I think and Jason's interest in the breed is still strong, they might really benefit him.

I've got a question for the raw dog food feeders. I'm breeding chickens for decent egg production, and I will have too many hens this year (I will have to select for production) and ergo too many eggs. I'd like to replace some of the meat I feed to the dogs with eggs, otherwise I'll be throwing the eggs away and paying for meat which makes no sense. How much egg can you feed a dog? I cook the eggs lightly, would one a day be too much? Should I crush the shell into the cooked egg too? The dogs range in weight from 40-70 lbs.
I've been feeding five pounds of meat and bone a day, would four and a half pounds of meat and bone, and one half pound of egg be OK? That works out to four eggs. Can I feed more?

Since realizing the local poultry feed has gone totally vegan and noticing problems most likely associated with it(drop in egg production, feather picking).. I've started to mix eggs into their feed. They absolutely love it.. break the eggs over the regular poultry feed and stir to coat.

as for the chicks on chick starter I like to add black oil sunflower, wet the mash- stir it and then break eggs over it and stir again to coat the whole thing.

they all love this so much they go nuts when they see the bowls for this mix.. the hens are back up to laying levels they were at before the vegan feed, feather picking stopped(in the mild cases though- the hard core pickers like the EE chicks continued to pick, the only solution was culling).

be a good way to use up the excess eggs after feeding the dogs?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom