breeding frizzle

I've only bred Frizzle Hen to Smooth Roo - I was wondering if you take a Frizzle Roo to smooth hen do you actually get a higher chance of Frizzled chicks as in most cases the Roo is the key - I ask because my one momma hen hatched out 2 chicks and 1 is Frizzled - if it winds a Roo which more than likely will as my luck with hatched Roos so far if I should change my strategy - I personally won't do a double frizzle gene hatch just because of the complications involved with them - thank you for input

I have 2 pens for frizzles Frizzle Rooster with smooth hens and Smooth Rooster with Frizzle hens

Glenda Heywood
Yes the correct term is
Frizzle IE: breed type Cochin, Silkie, Leghorn etc.
But back in the day in 1970's
Frizzles were Cochin breed type and (White Color)
and could only win BEST OF VARIETY AND RESERVE OF VARIETY Frizzle.(BV OR RV)
And never went up against the best Cochin of the show.
But to day we have the rules changed.
The frizzle breed type of 1 color will be put with the breed type of the same color.
Then Judged as BV and RV of that color breed type.
Then it goes up against the winner of the color breed type for best of breed.
Such as today we see:
White Frizzled Cochins going on to be BB or RB of the Cochin class at shows
Also Black Frizzled Cochins winning BB and or RB of Cochin class of show.
So it goes with other frizzled breed types.
But mostly Cochin Frizzles have come up with the big winners.
As Cochin breed type frizzles have excellent body type and good frizzling
with correct face, feet, leg to win the cochin breed class.
GO TO EXHIBITION FRIZZLE BREEDERS ON FACEBOOK and see many of the champions pictured and talked about there.

Glenda Hewood
I bed fizzles fo several decades
AND NEVER BRD FRZZLE TO FRIZZLE
because it causes extreme frizzle or curly's as they re called
here are pictur of a curly frizzle
he has no feathers on his back and never will

Tee-hee! The post subject makes me laugh.
I'm hoping and hoping and praying that my frizzle isn't a boy. We'll keep him anyway, but it's easier to keep one rooster rather than two, and we have a cute Polish cockerel. How can I choose between the two? Anyway, here are pictures of "her".

2504010332_5d37e88803.jpg
2530141658_0fe0a8a683.jpg
2529400323_1675996193.jpg

-Laura
owner of a flock of 23 (16/7)
ReplyQuotehttps://www.backyardchickens.com/t/59929/sex-my-frizzle# 0
Add a comment? (optional)
Add to ReputationCancel
-Laura

What Makes a Good Frizzle?

By Glenda Heywood

When you are in the market for a good breeder to make Frizzles out of do this:
BUY THE BEST STRAIGHT FEATHERED BIRD THAT IS THE BREED YOU ARE MAKING.

Then get one of the best Frizzles you can find. I use the Frizzle in the cock bird
and the straight feather in the hen. This will work with most any breed.

If you are making Cochins that is easy as you find the color variety and the
best stock according to the qualities of the Cochin breed.
You will need good type on both of the birds you are using.

I never recommend that one uses Frizzle to Frizzle except
maybe the first time if this is all that you can find for the original breeding stock.

Try and get two to three hens that are related to each other or get three unrelated females and an unrelated male.
If this is the case use single mateings and have three pens of unrelated eggs.

Putting the cock bird in each pen on the 2rd day for pen 1 and on the 3rd day for pen 2 and on the 4th day for pen three.

Then as the week starts all over do the same. The hens need the cock bird every 4th day.

When that first year is done you will need to toe punch the baby chicks as they come from the hatcher,
writing down what toe punch is from which pen -- #1,#2,#3.

Then when they are old enough to put color ring bands on them do so and you will always be able to recognize them on sight.
Make sure the bands are loose enough and not too tight for their legs so as to shut off the circulation.
[Editor's comment: Jiffy wing bands are even better as they don't slip off so you have a lifetime record of the bird.]

Now when the 2nd year comes you will have several families to make from the matings.
Cock over pullets from #1 pen, or over pullets from #2 or #3 pens.

The hen with cockerels from #1 pen to pullets of #2 pen and on thru the amount of offspring
you have from pens #1,#2,#3, each mated to a cockerel or pullet from other pen matings.
As long as you do this there will be no need to introduce new blood lines for many years.

Keep the listings of the pen matings in a book to see what you mated to what in what year. Each mating has different toe punches.

Now, if you are making Rock Frizzles or Polish Frizzles or Jap Frizzles: Take a good Frizzle cock of the breed and mate it to a good smooth female.
If you can't find the clean-legged single comb variety you are making, you may have to start with a hen or cock from another breed,
say Cochin Frizzle cock to a Rock hen. You will only use the Cochin Frizzle one year.

You will have to keep a good frizzle cock out of the cross and mate it back to the Rock hen.
The reason being is that the Cochin is feather-legged. This trait needs to be recessive and will be if used only once.
If used more than one year it will become dominent and you will pull stubs for the rest of the time breeding,

if you are to show these birds. Stubs are a disqualification and you don't want that.
Always look for stubs in your clean-legged birds, when showing them. This trait pops up every
so many years. Many feather-legged birds were used in making Frizzles.
Also the body type of the Cochin & Rock are not the same.

Buy a good ABA Standard or APA Standard if you don't have one.
The standards will give you the information that each breed type needs
Thus the birds you are trying to breed to the breed type is in the standard.

The continuation of Frizzle breeding is exciting as the goal is to have the head feathers as heavy
as you can and the little Cochin Frizzle look like a "Mum flower" when finished.

The neck should show a good quantity of wide curled feathers towards the head.
Also the body of the bird needs good heavy dense feathering with wide width.
If too narrow, the bird's feathers will appear to be wispy and thin.

Thus, the reason for not breeding Frizzle to Frizzle: It causes the bird to have less feather follicles
and thus will cause the bird to come out with a dozen feathers and be bald over the body and
intolerant of the sun or the cold weather. Curlys are a no-no in the Frizzle breeding.

Frizzle breeding is simple: use the smooth half-Frizzle pullets that come out each year.
Use a good male Frizzle on these smooth half-Frizzle females and you have the battle won,
as far as it goes for keeping good curl on the head feathers and the body feathers.

When breeding the single comb Rock, or Jap Frizzles it is simple: use this same method,
using the half-Frizzle smooth females with a good Frizzle male.

Show or sell the Frizzle birds not needed in the matings of the next year.
Don't let those half-Frizzle females go. I am not a lover of the cock bird being the smooth.
It never worked as well in my over 2 decades of breeding them.
I find the male is the best Frizzle breed type
and the best type needs to be seen in the hens.

The male line is of importance as the male throws good fertility and
the female makes the color and type permanent in the breeding of chickens.

The male has to come from a good typed bird line also. But your females make the breeding possible.
The short-backed females mated to a true typed frizzle male will always throw the right length of back
on the cockerels for breeding or showing.
Long-backed females make long-backed males and will thus stretch the breed type out too far
and soon you have many birds not worth keeping.
Watch what good typy females in the breeding can do for you.

If they have smooth feathers they are not a frizzle. A frizzle has to have the curled feathers. If it is smooth its just whatever breed it is. Like there are frizzled Polish, if the have smooth feathers they are just Polish chickens. What breed of Frizzle do you have?

Well I beg o differ with your interpertation of a smooth frizzle
a smooth out of a frizzle to smooth mating is a valuble asset to frizzle breeding.
First DO NOT BREED FRIZZLE TO FRIZZLE.
As it only causes curlies and or extreme frizzles they are called.
A "Curly" is a frizzle which has been bred from to many yrs breeding frizzle to frizzle.
Thus you breed the feather follicles off the chick, it will not have many feathers.
thus it is a cull as it will never be able to stand the heat or the cold weather.
If you will breed the frizzle to a smooth( preferably out of frizzle breeding)
you then always use the smooths out of frizzle to smooth matings to keep each year and,
breed the best (smooths) raised back to the frizzle (male or female) makes no difference which sex is frizzle or smooth.
The smooths that come from a frizzle to a smooth matings are to be saved till you can sex them and see what they are.
Originally you will need a regular feathered (smooth) chicken of the breed of the frizzle chicken to mate.
This is the F-1 mating started in this line of frizzles.
Now F-2 line is 2nd yr on this line.
you will use F-1 Frizzle what ever sex it is.
Then take the F-2 smooth chicks of opposite sex and mate to F-1 frizzle what ever sex it is.
Now let me make an example:
say F-1 is a frizzle male
Take F-2 smooth females (best you got out of first mating-) in this case the smooth females.
F-1 frizzle male to best F-2 smooth females will give great chicks.
That mating always give the best frizzle chicks and best smooth chicks.
SO EVERY YEAR YOU ONLY BREED: frizzle to smooths(out of frizzle to smooth matings)
YOU NEVER BREED REGULAR FEATHERED BIRDS IN unless improvement is need:
IE: in type, broadness of back etc on the chicks has gone down hill in yrs breeding the frizzle to smooths.
but I never had to as I bred several decades and always used frizzle male to smooth females(OUT OF FRIZZLE TO SMOOTH MATINGS)
You can read more about is and other chicken articles on NATIONAL POUTRY NEWS on facebook

My wife and I recently adopted/saved two Polish Frizzles. They were on their way out of the flock because it was believed they were being picked on so much that they were losing all their feathers. We have had them for about 6 months now and one has fully recovered all of her feathers. The second hen as only recovered the feathers on her head and I what feathers she has are brittle. Looking at the pictures of the Frizzle to Frizzles here I am positive that she is a double Frizzle. Is there anything that can be done to help her, will the saddles help her retain feathers on her back? She seems healthy and they are both laying regularly. I have a nice Polish Roo that I was going breed them. Will the double Frizzle pass the brittle feathers on to its offspring if bred with a smooth feathered Polish Roo?

My wife and I recently adopted/saved two Polish Frizzles. They were on their way out of the flock because it was believed they were being picked on so much that they were losing all their feathers. We have had them for about 6 months now and one has fully recovered all of her feathers. The second hen as only recovered the feathers on her head and I what feathers she has are brittle. Looking at the pictures of the Frizzle to Frizzles here I am positive that she is a double Frizzle. Is there anything that can be done to help her, will the saddles help her retain feathers on her back? She seems healthy and they are both laying regularly. I have a nice Polish Roo that I was going breed them. Will the double Frizzle pass the brittle feathers on to its offspring if bred with a smooth feathered Polish Roo?

I don't believe the brittle feathers pass - if she is a Frazzle I would help her out by putting a saddle on her - Frazzles produce all Frizzle offspring when put with a smooth - I've never bred a Frazzle or have had a Frazzle as it's not a recommended practice, and most I believe use Frazzle Roos - I would put a saddle tho, if she's with a Roo because he'll tear her up, if was me I'd not have her with a Roo just long enough time to mate and then have her with just hens, but that's just me - good luck

Back
Top Bottom