breeding Heritage, and rare exotic breeds

Quote:
There should be no difference.
If you want meat, try a bigger and faster growing breed. Maybe a New Hampshire or Delaware? If you want a lot of eggs, then get leghorns or Dominique's. If you want both good amount of eggs and meat,then go for RIR, wyandottes, orpingtons ect.

NYREDS wrote:
I'm not sure where you got this notion but it couldn't be more wrong. Talk to anyone who successfully breeds exhibition poultry & you'll find that they line breed. Breeding unrelated bloodlines is an absolute crap shoot. There's no way to predict outcomes. Crossing "new blood" into an established strain is the best possible way to screw up a breeding program.

thumbsup.gif

What I meant is I want to breed according to their breed like- egg production breed- leghorn, New Hampshire, etc. Meat production breed- Dark Cornish, Russian Orloff, etc. dual breeds- RIR, Orpingtons, etc

New Hampshire is a dual purpose breed too. so is the orloff

Quote:
If you want meat, try a bigger and faster growing breed. Maybe a New Hampshire or Delaware? If you want a lot of eggs, then get leghorns or Dominique's. If you want both good amount of eggs and meat,then go for RIR, wyandottes, orpingtons ect.

NYREDS wrote:
I'm not sure where you got this notion but it couldn't be more wrong. Talk to anyone who successfully breeds exhibition poultry & you'll find that they line breed. Breeding unrelated bloodlines is an absolute crap shoot. There's no way to predict outcomes. Crossing "new blood" into an established strain is the best possible way to screw up a breeding program.

thumbsup.gif

What I meant is I want to breed according to their breed like- egg production breed- leghorn, New Hampshire, etc. Meat production breed- Dark Cornish, Russian Orloff, etc. dual breeds- RIR, Orpingtons, etc

Are you talking about Breeder stock or hatchery stock?
When talking about hatchery stock there all production breeds, bred for egg production (quantity and not quality).

Chris

Quote:

thumbsup.gif

Are you talking about Breeder stock or hatchery stock?
When talking about hatchery stock there all production breeds, bred for egg production (quantity and not quality).

Chris

What I want to do is breed for quality, and quantity, for people who want for production and for showing.

if you buy 25 breeder chicks you should expect 10 or 12 keepers, keep the best 6 hens. if you buy 25 hatchery chicks you will get 4 or 5 keepers keep the best 2 roosters. pick the best hens from the breeder stock and the best rooster from the hatchery stock. give each rooster his own trio of hens. hatch out and raise chicks from both pens. keep the best cockerel from one pen and 12 of the best pullets from the other pen. cull one of the older roosters and put the other one in with the 12 young hens. put the young rooster in with the 6 older hens. from here you have the diversity in and you can linebreed without inbred depression. each generation pick your breeders to be fast growers, wide skulled, well feathered and look like the sop.

Well. if you want prolific egg layers look somewhere besides Sumatras!!

You will get several clutches per year but not consistant egg laying. Hatchery stock will probably leave you with roos with only one spur and red heads, at least that's what I found when I was looking for my foundation stock. Folk advertising show quality only to find it was bought from a hatchery and shown only at the local fair!

I put in a lot of miles and hours to find this out. Save yourself a LOT of feed, time and aggrevation... if you are serious about Sumatras, sell off that hatchery stuff to people wanting yard birds that can fly up in trees to roost, go to the Sumatra Assoc or a local APA approved show and get yourself a nice trio that you can see with dark faces, yellow under sides of the feet, multiple spurred roo (not just buds that don't develop)with LITTLE dark wattles. Cause THAT is what it takes!! Hope that helps you some.

This is a great dialog. My statements are not about blanketing that folks breeding to the SOP do not care about the vigour of their lines or that ALL exhibit birds are not suited to farmyard life.

If you follow the ALBC ,genetic diversity is preferable to homogenization which will be the result of long term inbreeding. I have witnessed exhibit quality birds that have lacked the ability for food foraging (the Silkie is a perfect example) and have vulnerability to certain diseases. Most of the breeds we know today were created by mixing different breeds together until the desired goal was achieved and the breed bred true.

Again, the joy of chicken keeping is that a lot of breeders can have success following different philosophies. Some are strict with closed flocks; others are not. Some of us believe in evolution & Buddhism, others do not.......

Quote:
Think about it this way; were silkies meant to forage well?

Punky, I honestly don't know as I never got to see the chickens that Marco Polo wrote about seeing on his Far East travels that scholars believe were Silkies. Earlier images of Silkies from the 19th/early 20th century depict a bird with a smaller crest; you can see their eyes. I would think that at some point in their earlier history if they didn't have the ability to find food, they wouldn't be around today....

Back
Top Bottom