Breeding lines

ToddQ

Songster
Jan 12, 2016
Ellicottville, NY
I have noticed that a lot of folks here seem to breed for specific line or characters in their chickens. Was wondering if that is the best way to go or is it fine to cross breeds and have a bunch of crazy looking birds that lay a ton of eggs?

Personal preference.
Nothing wrong with a barnyard mix. However, breeding for characteristics of the breed is how disparate genetics are maintained.
I believe it is important to retain the unique characteristics of the hundreds of extraordinary breeds that took generations of careful selection to achieve.

Either way is fine. Without the dedication and hard work of true breeders, we wouldn't have the breeds available today. They breed absolutely stunning birds and deserve tons of respect.

I do the mix and match thing myself, have for several years. I like having birds that don't look just like everyone else's, and learning what happens when I cross rooster A with hens B, C and D. Then take those babies and cross with either rooster A again, or rooster B....it's fun for me.

Back
Top Bottom