Breeding mature Buckeye roosters, spur problems

exop

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 10, 2009
NW Indiana
I have a couple of Buckeye roosters who are around 2 years old.

They are massive birds, around 10Lb, and have pleasant dispositions but thick, inch-and-a-half long spurs with a sharp point. In short, though they are nice they are heavy and equipped with stabbers. The last time I tried to breed from them, one accidentally cut a long gash in the side of a hen as he struggled to keep his footing. I was there when it happened and stitched her up promptly, she healed up well, and of course I terminated the breeding experiment.

For those of you who breed Buckeyes, what approach do you take?

I've wondered about sanding the ends off the spurs - attaching rubber balls à la the horn knobs used for cattle - using a very heavy duty hen apron (it seems like leather or ribbed canvas might hold up to the spurs and provide enough toe grip) - and then one always hears about different ways of removing spurs. Another approach would be to use only very young roosters for breeding, but that seems extreme.

Best - exop

Last edited:
There are several threads on this forum about this. You might try the search feature above, maybe with the key word trimmming spurs or such to see what you get.

There are lots of different ways to go about it. I use a Dremel tool, with the blades you use to cut off nails and screws. It seems to vary with the rooster, but I cut about 1/3 of the spur off and do not get down to the quick. I also cut the sharp ends of the toenails off too, again not too deep. Cutting nails and spurs are just like cutting your own fingernails. As long as you stay out of the quick, they do not feel it.

It is probably a good idea to have some flour handy in case you do draw blood. It is always possible. Flour will stop the blood flow.

I wrap the rooster in a towel to keep it under control.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

There are several threads on this forum about this. You might try the search feature above, maybe with the key word trimmming spurs or such to see what you get.

There are lots of different ways to go about it. I use a Dremel tool, with the blades you use to cut off nails and screws. It seems to vary with the rooster, but I cut about 1/3 of the spur off and do not get down to the quick. I also cut the sharp ends of the toenails off too, again not too deep. Cutting nails and spurs are just like cutting your own fingernails. As long as you stay out of the quick, they do not feel it.

It is probably a good idea to have some flour handy in case you do draw blood. It is always possible. Flour will stop the blood flow.

I wrap the rooster in a towel to keep it under control.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Thank you for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom