Breeding my chickens

They would be considered "barnyard mixes".

Yea I figured just wasn't 100% sure if they where named or not.I'll just come up with one for mine lol..I just thought they would be great layers so figured I'd try,I did my red rooster with the barred rock to get my sexlinks,now I'm doing red rooster with the sexlinks just to see how good of layers they are,even tho I'm soon tired of eggs its crazy but they sell good here. Thanks for your input.

@Jhaley88 not to disappoint, but names are reserved for recognized breeds, recognized hybrids with certain traits (like the RSL, BSL, and CornishX), and for landraces - geographically isolated flocks which are not yet genetically homogenous, yet can be consistently described by a set of known traits. In every case, the name is a useful label which tells you a not insignificant amount about what to expect of the bird.

Because the RIR over BSL is just rolling the genetic dice, first generation - the variety of genes coming out of that pairing results in more chicken "types" than you started with, a name (apart from "mutt") can't really communicate much in the way of useful information to others. At best, over many generations of selections and breedings, your birds might come to be known locally for their traits, and gain some name recognition with that audience.

Far be it from me to discourage you, I'm actually doing something like that myself (for me and my property over the coming years and thus am not bothering to name it), but the RIR over BSL or RSL crossing has happened accidentally so many times in backyard flocks over the ages, if there were any notable or "special" traits that tended to be exhibited from that crossing, it would be widely known in the community (and commercialized by multiple hatcheries).

As many have said. The RIR is a good bird with some useful traits. The xSL are good birds whose most useful trait is the sex linking (which you will be losing), but otherwise share many traits with the RIR. You will end up with a mutt which most likely shows many of the RIR traits, with subsequent generations reinforcing that tendency. Over time and continued RIR x crosses, you will probably get back to something that looks like a hatchery quality RIR, unless you make particular efforts to maintain the barred rock elements in the offspring (which may be complicated by recessives that cause them not to be expressed in the offspring - I'm still trying to learn chicken genetics, and don't know the phenotype for barred rock or RIR off the top of my head. I use this, Kippenjungle Calculator. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• 20201217_150542.jpg
    20201217_150542.jpg
    415.5 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom