Breeding my chocolate lab with a golden retriever

20180525_145356.jpg
20180507_171926.jpg
20180525_145446.jpg

I hope the pups are black, Could they turn out to be a goldish brown?

This is dog coat color genetics, not cans of paint. When it comes to brown vs. black, you only get brown if both parents have a gene for brown. Yellow vs black works the same way - a pup has to get the gene for yellow from both parents for it to be yellow. Both of these genes work as either/or, there are no "in-betweens." A dog that inherits the genes for brown and the genes for yellow from both parents will be yellow, because the genes for yellow basically kick all of the brown/black pigment out of the coat. Of the possible gene combinations, none result in "goldish brown."

This is dog coat color genetics, not cans of paint. When it comes to brown vs. black, you only get brown if both parents have a gene for brown. Yellow vs black works the same way - a pup has to get the gene for yellow from both parents for it to be yellow. Both of these genes work as either/or, there are no "in-betweens." A dog that inherits the genes for brown and the genes for yellow from both parents will be yellow, because the genes for yellow basically kick all of the brown/black pigment out of the coat. Of the possible gene combinations, none result in "goldish brown."
Here is a chocolate lab/golden retriever mix

Last edited:
Here is a chocolate lab/golden retriever mix

Lab, Golden, and what else? Look at that dog - it has black and tan patterning (or more likely sable) expressed in brown and gold. It has to be more than a 2-way cross.

People who know a lot more about Goldens than I do tell me that Goldens are supposed to have two copies of black (B); they aren't supposed to have chocolate (b). The only way a dog can be chocolate colored anywhere is if it inherited chocolate from both parents - and chocolate (b) is a gene that Goldens aren't supposed to have.

Goldens and Labs are also supposed to have two copies of dominant black (K). An animal with dominant black will be solid black or brown - it doesn't matter what pattern genes it has at the A locus, K overrules them and gives you a solid colored animal. The only way you can see black and tan or sable in the coat is if the animal has two copies of the recessive (k) - once again, a gene that neither Goldens nor Labs should have.

(Of course, you have ee taking all of the dark pigment off the coat of a Golden, leaving only the yellow pigment showing, but the K is still there to be passed on and expressed in any offspring that might inherit an E).

Here's another golden retriever/lab mix..

Once again, you have things going on that shouldn't be happening if one parent was a purebred Lab and the other a purebred Golden - maybe both parents were crosses, and crossed together?

If your dogs are "it looks most like a fill in dog breed here, so that's what we'll call it" mixed breeds like these dogs' parents clearly were, there's no telling what your puppies might look like, either.:idunno

Last edited:
View attachment 1404372
My dog is a cross. One of the best dogs I have ever owned. Faithful protector for my livestock.
I don't understand the meaning of your post.
I believe the meaning of that poster is: Do NOT contribute to the OVERPOPULATION of dogs, just visit a few local animal control kennels to see all the dogs that need homes. Too many people breed their dogs for the WRONG purpose. Years ago I had a gorgeous female Chesapeake Retriever, I am NOT a breeder so she was spayed. I was approached in a park once by a woman, turned my stomach. First thing she said, "Hey, nice dog, want to make some money??"

I too have several mutts, either re-homes or I've found and kept them, after unsuccessfully trying to find their owners (I'm out in the country, so I know they were dumped) If I ever want a purebred, I go to a RESPONSIBLE breeder. One that is ACTIVE in their breed club, one that is ACTIVE in rescue of their breed, one that KNOWS the genetic traits to breed for, one that does DNA testing on their dogs for any genetic defects, one that REQUIRES that if you cannot keep the dog they sell you, FOR ANY REASON, that you return the dog to them, at ANY TIME of the dogs life.

Back
Top Bottom