Breeding Northern Bobwhite Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bwhite28, Feb 14, 2011.

1. bwhite28

bwhite28 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2007
    Southeastern PA
    Has anyone had any luck breeding Northern Bobwhite in breeder pens. I made a breeder pen with dimension of 1.5ft long and 2.5ft deep and set them up in pairs. I have tried it twice and each time the males end up pecking the females to the point where they nearly kill them. I have pretty much gave up on the idea for now until i figure out a solution to this problem. Can anyone help?

2. bwhite28

bwhite28 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2007
    Southeastern PA
    [​IMG]
    This is what I had them in and it was sectioned in 3rds.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  3. DuranAndy

DuranAndy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Utah
    Hmm, I would try giving them more space. Plus give them things to distract their aggresion. Maybe that will help...

4. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    I would put 12 or so coturnix in that pen space, but that's just me!

Sorry I can't help with the bobs [​IMG]

5. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    A person I know who breeds them has, I believe, possibly two males and six females, in the pen, except there are only two enclosures, not six. You may want to do that, take out four dividers and keep six females and one male per side. This would spread the abuse amongst the females so one is not getting all the attention. However I am not sure if fertility can be expected, I am no expert but this is just what I have witnessed. Good luck though. Oh, and as mentioned earlier, you may want to add some pine branches to give them some cover. Good luck though.

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:If you go this way and you can do it you might try putting the hens in first with out the male and let them figger out the pecking order first then add the male after the hens have settled down HTH

7. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:I've only tried doing this once, (1 male / 2 females) in individual pens and had the same kinda results. Not only did "he" scalp her, the other ladys participated as well. I pulled the victims out, and they went to recovery ward. The terriorists that did the scalping.............they went back to the colony where all was equal in love and war!

8. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    So what size of colony pen and what numbers of quails work well for bobs?

9. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:For me, about 1:3. I've got 15 males and 42 females in a 60 sq. ft. pen. Things will get "testy" with the fellas in the next few weeks to come. I already started noticing it yesterday as are haveing warmer weather, and the days are getting longer. At one point, I think every male in the pen was trying to peck somebody. Yep, the ol' testosterone levels are about to overflow! I expect somebody to be bald-headed by Friday....... [​IMG]

10. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:For me, about 1:3. I've got 15 males and 42 females in a 60 sq. ft. pen. Things will get "testy" with the fellas in the next few weeks to come. I already started noticing it yesterday as are haveing warmer weather, and the days are getting longer. At one point, I think every male in the pen was trying to peck somebody. Yep, the ol' testosterone levels are about to overflow! I expect somebody to be bald-headed by Friday....... [​IMG]

Randall, Do you pull birds out, or just let'em work it out and scoop up the bodys or survivors when its done. When ever I intervene, it either just puts off the fight or creates a power vacuum that is filled by a new bully. My experience has only been with pheasants years ago, not bob whites. Bill

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by