Breeding out feather feet

RoosterMania

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Blackshear
I have some mutt "teenagers" that have some sort of American GameFowl and some sort of feather-footed (don't know if it is brahma or cochin) in them. Can the feather-foot gene be bred out of them? I have a roo that is the color of a light brahma but built like a gamefowl (He is absolutely gorgeous). He has clean feet. If I breed him to a sister that is clean footed will that rid me of the feather footed gene?

Go easy on me, I'm a newbie at this.

Everything can be bred out... it just depends on how strong the gene is.

You may have 50% chicks with feathered feet, then next generation, 25% then maybe a few here and there after that.

From what I understand, you may have that particular gene pop up randomly for years to come... just keep culling.
smile.png

Yes you can breed the feathers out. But you don't want to do it by brother to sister mating. Inbreeding that way will "lock" a trait in. what you want to do is selectivly breed it out

For example

Roo A (feather leg) hen B (clean leg)
the offspring will be 50% A & 50% B . some will be clean legged some feathered. what you want to do is take a clean legged roo from that mating and breed it back to the clean legged hen. From that mating you will have a higher % of clean legged offspring. Then do it again.

Steve in NC

You guys are AWESOME!!!

So could I take a clean legged pullet and breed her back to her father (clean legged roo)?

The hen these came off of is has slightly feathered legs, but the roo does not.

There are two sets of genes that can cause feathers on the shanks and toes. You may have to breed out 4 genes all together. If the legs are not heavily feathered(like in cochin), then you may only have to breed out two genes.

Tim

From experience,
it is easy to get from feathered feet to sparcely feathered feet. Getting rid of the last feathers has only occurred once for me. Mind you, none of these were deliberate attempts--just my yard-candy/bug-scavenger mixes. She is a fairly interesting looking silkie with absolutely zero foot feathers, short tight silkie feathering and very small crest. Pretty blue & red patterned colouring, but she will never go in a breeding pen
lol.png

The two main foot feather genes are dominants, thus easy to get rid of, the third that puts feather on the inside of the shank is so rare it is not usually a problem. However the gene stubs is recessive and can/will be more difficult to get rid of,
David

Back
Top Bottom