Breeding Parrotlets?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by duckncover, Jun 27, 2011.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Anyone bred them on here? A friend gave me a proven pair. I set them up a box and let them sit for a few weeks but I haven't seen too much activity in the box any advice? They are in the bird room, Should I move them to somewhere more secluded?

2. Callducknut14

Callducknut14 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2011
    Seymour,Missouri
    I breed them. They are alot of fun but make sure that your pair can't see ANY other parrotlets from their cage. My male parrotlet killed his mate because two baby parrotlets were in veiw of them.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Luvs chickens

Luvs chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Massachusettes
    Wow that is scarey.I have a pair sitting on eggs now. I was told they were 2 females but, have seen them in action ( so to speak) put a nest box in and they are laying tiny pink eggs. they are in a spare bedroom and there is a pair of tiels in the room. Is that OK! [​IMG]
    Quote:

4. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    females will 100% mount eachother and females will lay without a male present...

the good news is parrotlets are increidbly easy to sex, what color are they? males will have bright turquoise blue on their wings and base of tail on ALL colors except albino. the females will only have a little bit of the turquoise blue.

http://www.littletweet.com/parrotlet_sexing.html

5. Luvs chickens

Luvs chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Massachusettes
    thank you for the info on sexing the birds.They are all green,(one always looks like it is molting so alot of the feathers are grey fussy) looks like I probably have 2 females. What should I do with the eggs they are sitting on? then should I separate them. They are not friendly at all. I would like to be able the handle them. [​IMG]

6. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by