Breeding pen/house

Chicken Egg 17

Songster
Dec 11, 2015
McVeytown PA
Hello I will be getting some silkies soon and I want build a breeding pen for them and the. Have them in there away from my mixed flock. I would like it to be like tiny coop like thing not just a wire cage thing like most breeding pens and would like it to have a small at ached run so that its nice and small and light so I can easily pick it up and move it like a chicken tractor so my question is just for someone to help me think of a good size of coop and attach run for 2-6 bantams and maybe some pics of others breeding pens thanks

for the max of 6 bantams I would think the coop should be around 4'x3'-4'x4', and the run would need to be a minimum of 6'x10'. But that's just me. I free range all my birds, so I don't usually worry about calculating needed space since they're never in their coop/run, but I've definitely noticed that the few times that they have been locked up, if there wasn't enough room, they got testy really fast!
here's a pic of a really nice small pen:

If so I can't build something that big if it's just the house I just want maybe two nesting boxes and a small house that is probably about 14 square feet not including the run though so how many birds can I fit in a 14 square feet house thanks

If so I can't build something that big if it's just the house I just want maybe two nesting boxes and a small house that is probably about 14 square feet not including the run though so how many birds can I fit in a 14 square feet house thanks
The house only needs to be about 12-14 square feet to fit 6 bantams comfortably. The run space needs to be around 45-60 square feet

They will be mostly free ranged away from my other flock so that they are less likely to get near each other and interupt my breeding process but yet again when I will be selling hatching eggs they will be kept farther away from the others and the mixed flock will be kept in here pen most of the day and then the silkies in the breeding pen will be left out for most of the day

There are my favorites but they all have to have a run for them even though one don't show it in the pick there will be a run added if I build that one let me know which one u like the best and which one u ink looks a good size for the amount of birds I have but they will mostly be free ranged so u don't need to worry about the run size

O and we can get some pretty strong winds here so how would I hold it to the ground so the wind don't blow it over and it has the still be easy to un do it so I can pick it up then and move it

Back
Top Bottom