Breeding Pen Size (Ratio)

Centerville Bill

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2023
I am building a "breeding coop" that will house a rooster and a limited number of hens for the purpose of getting hatching eggs of known genetics. I know that folks say about 10 hens to 1 rooster is a good ratio but i really am thinking about 5 hens and 1 rooster to keep size manageable. Does anyone have experience with small breeding flocks?

I am building a "breeding coop" that will house a rooster and a limited number of hens for the purpose of getting hatching eggs of known genetics. I know that folks say about 10 hens to 1 rooster is a good ratio but i really am thinking about 5 hens and 1 rooster to keep size manageable. Does anyone have experience with small breeding flocks?
Following this thread since I'm planning on doing the same some time soon :caf

I know that folks say about 10 hens to 1 rooster is a good ratio
For many breeds, 1 rooster to 10 hens is a good ratio: if you have a flock with hundreds of birds, and you want the fewest possible roosters while still having the eggs be fertile. (Example: big flock at a hatchery.) Some breeds need more roosters than that, some others are fine with even less roosters. This is not based on keeping the roosters or the hens happy, just getting all the eggs fertile without having any more roosters than needed.

For flocks with just one rooster, the "right" ratio is whatever works. The individual rooster makes a BIG difference. Problems would be overmating (bare backs on hens) or hens laying infertile eggs (not being mated often enough.) Some roosters overmate their favorite hens even with 20+ hens. Some other roosters do not overmate even if they have just one hen. Some roosters will overmate their favorite hens (bare backs) while also skipping other hens (infertile eggs from those hens).

You will not know for sure about your rooster until you try something and see if it works.

Back
Top Bottom