Breeding question? please help.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chooketychook, Aug 29, 2013.

1. chooketychook

chooketychook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2013
    birmingham UK
    Hiya so after a little research ive realises breeding is not going to be as easy as I thought I was wondering if you could answer some questions to help me out.

How long do you leave hens in a breeding pen to have best chance of fertilised eggs?

How long will eggs be fertile after you have taken the hens out of the pen.

I read eggs can be fertile for a month or longer if so do you just keep adding the eggs to the incubator over the whole month which means you could have a egg in the bator aged 17days old then add a new egg of a day old? Or do you just collect eggs to a certain number say 10 incubate them and disguard the other fertile eggs for the remainder of the month? Or do you keep 2 seperate incubators?.

Id appreciate any help,many thanks.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  2. chooketychook

Jun 17, 2013
    birmingham UK
    Anyone? pls?

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I had a male rooster on my hens, put day one eggs in bator, nothing, day 2 eggs in bator were fertile, I kept him on the hens for one week. then gave him back. I have many eggs in my bator now. hens can store sperm for up to 3 weeks.[​IMG]

4. chooketychook

Jun 17, 2013
    birmingham UK
    Thank you so did you collect the eggs over the three week and add them to the bator? Can hatching eggs stay at the same temp as new eggs?

5. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Well I gave back the roo about a week ago. I had 4 eggs that were fertile from the first experiment, and I gave them to my broody. I stored eggs until last sunday, then put my large eggs in the bator. on Monday I put my small eggs in the bator since they hatch sooner. just yesterday I had the last of my chicks hatch from a diff batch, in my small cardboard bator, so I transfered the little eggs to the small bator 10 eggs, and left the big eggs in my wood bator
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the days are a little staggered because i have been adding to the bator since sun. and quit, tue, or wed. I am not sure. eventhough I have more room now, I am not going to add anymore. I have to hand turn and the more you open the box and dink around the less chance you have of a good hatch.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  6. chooketychook

Jun 17, 2013
    birmingham UK
    Ahh ok thankyou very much for the help,im guessing ill need 2 incubators or pray for a broodh hen,I wish you the best with your hatch hun xx

7. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I collect the eggs over 10 days , store them pointy end down in a carton below 16 c . Once I have all the eggs together I set them down in the incubator . I find that staggered hatches are a little risky. You don't want to be opening the bator once you reach day 18 ( lockdown ) as you will upset the humidity levels and so adversely affect your hatch rate.

8. nellynelly

nellynelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Bogota, Col
    why would you discard the extra fertile eggs? you can eat them.

let me start by saying i have never used an incubator. but i think you would want to load all the eggs at the same time. a staggered hatch would be difficult.

9. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    mine will be fine they are still pretty close age wise and I dry hatch been there done that.I was stating how I do it, not asking how to.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  10. chooketychook

Jun 17, 2013
    birmingham UK
    Thanks gimmie birdie for teaching me your way I have a idea of how to manage now hun,and yes nellynelly
    Thats what I was asking the other posters gave me a good indication,I got it :),And I dont want to eat fertile eggs (personal preferance)I will feed them back to the chickens and eat the unfertiles ones there free I can afford to be fussy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by