Breeding question

Qualien

Songster
May 9, 2018
I have a cockbird sitting on one baby, his mate has not returned for a few days. This was their first baby, and they are relatively young birds. I know there is a possibility that she will still return. I have four original pairs of pigeons, and she was one of them. My question is, if she does not return, would it be better to re-mate father to daughter, and spare the bloodline, or to re-mate him to one of my other females from a different pair, and be unable to mate their babies to any of their half siblings (which would remove quite a few pairing possibilities)?

The research I've done said that breeding siblings and half siblings is bad for racing stock, and will eventually lead to your birds devolving back to rock pigeons, where as breeding a parent to son or daughter does not. It is difficult to tell with pigeon information which information is valid or not, as there is a lot of different opinions out there, but I would rather not take a chance on the abilities of my flock.

The research I've done said that breeding siblings and half siblings is bad for racing stock, and will eventually lead to your birds devolving back to rock pigeons, where as breeding a parent to son or daughter does not. It is difficult to tell with pigeon information which information is valid or not, as there is a lot of different opinions out there, but I would rather not take a chance on the abilities of my flock.
@Old_Strain_Lover ?? Read 1st post....

Back
Top Bottom