breeding rabbits

From what i hear for first time does you will get almost all look like the mother and for the second time they can look like anything i bred a male red rex to a female new zealand white all looked just like the mom same thing for my dutches

From what i hear for first time does you will get almost all look like the mother and for the second time they can look like anything i bred a male red rex to a female new zealand white all looked just like the mom same thing for my dutches
*sigh* I'm sorry, but I suspect that I am about to sound really crabby. . . .

Rabbit genes don't care how many litters a doe may have had; this statement reflects little or no understanding of the rules of inheritance.

There are several genes that influence rabbit coat color, and it is the combined effect of all of them that determines just what color a rabbit is. In the case of the Red Rex crossed with a New Zealand White, white is fully recessive, so the Rex had to be carrying a gene for white (REW), if he wasn't, it would have been impossible for any of the babies to be white, no matter what color the doe was. It's a bit unusual for all of a litter to get the same gene when a parent has two different ones, but it can happen.

"Brown" isn't the name of a rabbit color; I have heard people use it to describe anything from a Chestnut Agouti to a Tortoiseshell, so I'm not sure what color this doe is. I can be pretty sure about what genes a Californian is carrying (assuming it is a purebred), but a lot of the color possibilities in the nest box would depend on what the rabbit the Cali is crossed with has (and that holds true, whether the Cali in the cross is the doe or the buck). Cali's frequently carry the Steel gene, so there is an excellent chance of getting Steel or solid Black any time you breed to a Cali. A "brown" rabbit is expressing some dominant genes, but that doesn't mean it isn't carrying some recessives; if the Cali isn't purebred, it could be carrying some as well. You could get pretty much anything from a cross like this.

Back
Top Bottom