Breeding Ratio?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fireflyhatchery, Feb 7, 2013.

1. fireflyhatchery

fireflyhatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi I want to breeds some RIR chickens and wondered if a better overall fertility would come from a specific rooster to hens ratio. Right now they are all together with 2 roosters and 18 hens. Any comments will be appreciated.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sounds like you're right there now. Optimal overall fertility seems to be ten hens to one roo, so you're all good.

3. lahowardjr

lahowardjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Bache Oklahoma
    Just watch the feathers on your hen's neck and back. If they look like they are getting tore out or causing pretty good injuries, cut back to one rooster.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Frankly, I'd choose the better rooster and pen him with your very best 3 or 4 hens. Between now and May 1, you could collect/hatch almost 200 eggs. I guess I'm suggesting going for quality and flock improvement through some selective breeding rather than just flock breeding? Just a thought. FWIW

5. sounds about right to me.

6. fireflyhatchery

I like that idea thanks. The best hens are just more colored and fuller right?

7. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    depends on the breed, sometimes even the most colorful and fullest arent the best. if they are too filled out they might be over weight. and the curve of their body, or body shape.
    you can post photos here and somepeeps can tell you which ones are best. :)

8. fireflyhatchery

If the hens are moved to a different place in the same area with a different nest boxes will they still lay the same?

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yes, settle them in. If they have a rooster, and two/three of their mates? If the pen is just another pen in the barn? You see them twice a day, for feed and water and they hear your voice? They'll settle in quickly. We never have issues with this kind of thing.

I'd rather hatch out 100 of my best chicks, selectively choosing my best hens and best rooster. This gives me pride in the offspring. I know I'm doing my best with what I have, for creating the best chicks I can. Then, I can say to my customers that I've made the best livestock I can.

This is husbandry and breeding. Just letting a flock of a few dozen birds and multiple cock birds breed, willy nilly? That's just propagation. That's done enough in this poultry world, I guess.

Sorry to be forward about my reply and trust you take no offense at my forwardness. I choose my best ears of corn for saving for seed, not just any old ears. My best tomatoes, etc. It's just what farmers do. Or, should do.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  10. fireflyhatchery

Its very good advice thanks. No offense whatsoever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by