Breeding Results, Lavender Orpington over White Leghorn

Farmhouse Hen

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2024
Here's the answer to breeding a White Leghorn hen to a Lavender Orpington rooster. The result is some darling chicks! They are very light in color, almost pure white and have black spots on their heads and bodies. I'm strongly tempted to call them domino chicks. They are very friendly and are the first ones to eat out of my hand every time. I wanted to try that cross because the Leghorns are our best layers as far as consistency and egg size and Roosteroo, the Orpington is well tempered and an exceptional flock protector.

I'm assuming their eggs will be brown. Since the Leghorns aren't known for being broody, we'll have to see if the Orpington tendency for that comes through to this generation.

Attachments

• 2024-02-05 17.13.11.jpg
    2024-02-05 17.13.11.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 97
Small correction, lavender is not sexlinked, so all of them are split to lavender, not just the male offspring. 🙂

Genetically, from that cross, they should all be heterozygous for dominant white and heterozygous for lavender. What that means is that they have just one copy of those genes paired with one copy of the wildtype genes of basically 'not white' and 'not lavender'. Written out, that looks like I/i+ (for white) and Lav+/lav (for lavender), where the capital letters represent dominant traits and the plus signs represent the wildtype allele. Because each carries lavender, crossing any of them back to a lavender individual would produce roughly 1/4 white chicks with black flecks, 1/4 white chicks with lavender flecks, 1/4 black chicks, and 1/4 lavender chicks, regardless of sex.

Crossing them to a black individual would require that that black individual also carries lavender in order to produce any lavender offspring since the gene is recessive.

Small correction, lavender is not sexlinked, so all of them are split to lavender, not just the male offspring. 🙂

Genetically, from that cross, they should all be heterozygous for dominant white and heterozygous for lavender. What that means is that they have just one copy of those genes paired with one copy of the wildtype genes of basically 'not white' and 'not lavender'. Written out, that looks like I/i+ (for white) and Lav+/lav (for lavender), where the capital letters represent dominant traits and the plus signs represent the wildtype allele. Because each carries lavender, crossing any of them back to a lavender individual would produce roughly 1/4 white chicks with black flecks, 1/4 white chicks with lavender flecks, 1/4 black chicks, and 1/4 lavender chicks, regardless of sex.

Crossing them to a black individual would require that that black individual also carries lavender in order to produce any lavender offspring since the gene is recessive.
Your right I forgot been awhile im breeding chocolates so getting them all mixed up lol

Back
Top Bottom