Breeding show quality magpie ducks

KAGs waterfowl

Chirping
Feb 24, 2021
Does anyone know what color pattern to select for in magpie ducks? I’ve heard that magpies color tend to increase on ducks and decrease in drakes from one generation to the next, and some will come out pure white. How do you select birds to throw a good number of show quality marked magpies? Thank you!

My knowledge of Magpies is limited to what I've come across in my research, but I'll share what I know. Magpies are probably the most notoriously hard to breed duck consistently to the show standard. For show legs and feet must be mostly solid orange (if possible completely solid orange), but often you will end up with mottled. The bill must also be solid orange, but since bills change color with hormones and age most show breeders only show birds that are at the point-of-lay age range. When two pure Magpies produce all white ducklings they were originally labeled as their own breed called "Stanbridge Whites". I know in the UK they select their keepers as ducklings only selecting those who display the proper pattern with preferably clean lines (minimal course, jagged or rough angles in symmetry and no off pattern markings) and orange bills, feet and legs with as minimal mottling as possible ideally completely solid orange in color. The rest are either sold off or culled. There is no 100% way to ensure show stock when breeding Magpies as it really is a genetic lottery, but it's essentially the same as breeding for show stock of any breed. To increase your chances of show stock offspring you always want keep the ones that are closest to the breed standard and sell off the ones that don't match up.

**Disclaimer**
These are NOT my photos, but from the Livestock Conservancy that shows a very good example of Magpie markings with solid orange legs, feet and bill.
magpie.jpg

https://livestockconservancy.org/heritage-breeds/heritage-breeds-list/magpie-duck/

http://domestic-waterfowl.co.uk/magpie.html

Back
Top Bottom