Breeding Silkies

DrinkTheRainbow

Songster
9 Years
Jan 1, 2011
Altoona, Wisconsin
How do you do this? LOL I've been trying this forever. Ever since I've got them I've locked them into places where they can be alone and everything and he doesn't even try. I tried this with my Buff cochin rooster and Buffish Wyandotte hens (all bantams) and he got them both! What is wrong with Silkies?

First question, how old are the birds?

Second,.. trim the butts of both the cockerel and the pullet,... if they can't 'make a connection' no babies will result.

Third step......

Fourth step... PROFIT! (not really,.. but hopefully you'll get some chicks)

Last edited:
I have silkies and if they are old enough you shouldn`t have any problems with breeding.Keep them in one place don`t keep moving them so they can get used to there seroundings and once they feel safe and are old enough they should start breeding.I`d say around 6 months old is when they start.

Some silkies do not mature enough until they are almost a year old. And, you must also take into consideration that the temps are such that many birds do not breed until spring when the weather is warmer. None of my birds are currently breeding at this time but once we hit March, things usually pick up.

Back
Top Bottom