Breeding Silver and White Appleyards

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by monkeemakr, Nov 13, 2012.

1. monkeemakr

monkeemakr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Swansea, SC
    I have one white Appleyard that Holderread's threw in when I ordered more Silvers for my flock. Anyone have any idea what will happen if I allow her to breed to a Silver drake? Is the white dominate, or will some Silvers hatch out?

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    we cull all ducks who are too dark or if we ever get a white popping up it too will be culled. Both dark and the whites can happen and are not acceptable per the standard. They make for a fine processed bird, but not something to keep and breed if you are focused on maintaining the breed per the APA SOP.

3. monkeemakr

monkeemakr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Swansea, SC
    Thanks. Looks like she is going to be confined to the laying pen.

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    good choice, we try to sell the girls as layers and butcher the drakes who dont meet standard

5. iambebabeba

iambebabeba Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2012
    But if you did breed a white appleyard to another white would the offspring be all white or would there be some that have correct coloring ? Just wondering because mine all lay together and I haven't separated them out.

6. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    you could always use her as a brooding duck though, alot of ducks that dont meet apa standards are used for incubating other eggs :)

7. iambebabeba

iambebabeba Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2012
    I will try that. But she lays with everyone else so I don't know which eggs are hers to not hatch. I'm just hope some would have proper markings . Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by