1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeding the partridge color?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by playswithfowl, Aug 31, 2009.

1. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    I was wondering if there are any problems with breeding Partridge birds or anything to look for and avoid. I am most likely going to start breeding Partridge Wyandotte Bantams.
    --PWF

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    They shoudln't be different than any other color. Chose the best birds to breed, and use the rest for layers. [​IMG]

3. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Partridge wyandotte bantams are easy. Just be sure to get birds that arent too light colored. Also watch for red showing up in the roosters breast. One of the big things to watch in wyandotte bantams is the tail. You dont want cochin tails. When viewed from behind it should look like a teepee with the main tail feathers being stiff and sticking out from under the tail coverts. Which reminds me, watch the tail color in the hens. Alot of breeders breed for patterned main tails which they are supposed to have solid black tail feathers except the top two feathers which are supposed to be black on the lower half with pencilled upper halfs (when looking at it from the side so one side of the quil is solid and other is pencilled). As with all rosecomb breeds watch the comb, be sure its not too big, the point is straight, the comb should follow the shape of the head, not stick out like hamburgs.

But the most important thing: Type first, color later!

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Actually many Partridge Wyandotte breeders will tell you to keep a couple of those males with red in their breast. They often produce better pullets. I bred these for several years & always double mated. Also watch the pencilling in the saddle section of the females-that's where colour first seems to mbreak down. FMP is right about the tails. A Wyandotte tail needs to form an upside down V when viewed from the rear. Too many Wyandotte Bantams are shown [and win] with bunny tails.

5. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Quote:Yes, exactly. When I had partridge wyandotte bantams they had nice type and tails and everything and I would get so annoyed when a little clean legged, rose combed cochin would win, lol. On some of the bunny tail wyandottes there is no main tail it seems, you look and the main tail feathers are soft and all of them are patterned. And the really bad thing is when (like you said) judges place them high, then people breed towards the wrong thing because certain judges like it.

6. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    So which of these has the best Wyandotte type?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just got my Columbian pullet, and has not been worked with at all and so I was having a really hard time getting her to pose. I will be working with her more when she is out of quarantine.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    The blue looks to have the best type. The golden-laced and partridge look to have bunny tails. Can't tell on the columbian.

8. gway2008

gway2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    I think your blue is just Gorgeous!!!!! [​IMG]

9. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Quote:Thanks! I love her. I want to breed her, but don't have the space and will be going to College in three years. I am going to breed the Partridge Wyandotte's because they aren't as difficult to breed as Blues are.

10. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Yep

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by