Breeding Time Information

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SusanJoM, Dec 10, 2008.

1. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

A month or so ago I finished the breeding pens that I am planning on using in the Spring.

Now I'm wondering about putting some birds in there early. For example, I have a nice Bantam Salmon Favorelle roo, 3 Salmon Fav hens, and 2 Bantam Salmon Fav hens that I am planning on breeding. I also have a handsome Cuckoo Marans roo and 3 hens.

To my knowledge, none of the SF girls has even laid an egg yet, although they should be old enough.....at least 7 months. The CM's are laying up a storm.

Question is: would putting them in the breeding pen with the roo stimulate them to start the process (in the case of the Salmon Favs)? Or should I just go with the original plan and wait until Spring.

The breeding pens are nice and roomy -- 8 X 10 two-levels with enclosed nesting area above the open run area -- so living in there would not be uncomfortable for them....

What do you think....I'm not really in a hurry, but I'm curious as to whether I'm just wasting time by not closing them up even though it's "winter".

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Question is: would putting them in the breeding pen with the roo stimulate them to start the process (in the case of the Salmon Favs)? Or should I just go with the original plan and wait until Spring

A rooster has nothing to do with whether or when they lay. They start when they start, really. I dont see why you can't put them in their own pens now, though.​

3. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:A rooster has nothing to do with whether or when they lay. They start when they start, really. I dont see why you can't put them in their own pens now, though.

That was pretty naive of me, wasn't it. Thanks, Cynthia, for setting me straight. I knew, of course, that hens don't need roos around to lay eggs, I don't know why I thought they might stimulate them to "start".....duh.....[​IMG]

Maybe I'll get energetic sometime this week and go separate them out....see what they all make of it.

Susan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by