Breeding while moulting??

Happycheese

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
Carlisle, PA
Flock, in order of most dominate to least: mallard hen, mallardXpekin mutt drake, blue fawnXrouen mutt hen that looks like a goose, her sister,
'wild' mallard drake.

So my mallardXpekin mutt drake, Farnsworth, fathered tons of babies this year, and his mate is done for the year it seems. He is about half way through his moult, going into eclipse. Since he's a mutt, he's quite odd looking, very dark brown feathers, splotches of white that was hidden by his male plumage, etc. (When he's done I promise to post pics!)
It was my understanding that going into eclipse = done for the breeding season. But he has other plans! The mutt blue fawnXrouens have been around a while and seem to become part of the herd. They are no longer chased away while eating or drinking, and sleep right next to the alpha pair.
Started a couple days ago, he bred the smaller female while in the pool and since them I've seen him accost at least one, if not both, once a day. Usually not in the pool, he will just grab their neck and go to town.
Is this strange? the other male, although smaller since he's not a mix, and younger: Just growing in his drake feather, has no interest in any of the hens and isn't moulting or going into eclipse. Too young? Knows Farnsworth will kick his butt?
One of the reasons I'm concerned that he will be 'amorous' for the entire year is I have 2 ducklings @ 3 weeks old that I want to introduce to the flock when they are fully feathered. (99% sure they are hens) And if the other male won't breed with any one of them, if Farnsworth can handle 5 hens all to himself!

I have had a few drakes and they didn't care if they were molting or not. Of course I have breeds that tend to lay all year.

Back
Top Bottom