Breeding white oegb SPecific standards?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by ChelseysChicken, Nov 23, 2014.

1. ChelseysChicken

ChelseysChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    North TX
    If you wouldn't mind sharing your knowledge of oegb standards with me Iv been searching the internet for days but havnt found much. Waitin fory aba standard book to be mailed. Thanks greatly for and feedback !

2. Cjarvis

Cjarvis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Are you looking for Type description? Or eye, leg and beak for the white?

1 person likes this.
  3. ChelseysChicken

Jun 1, 2013
    North TX
    I can't find any info on exactly what yet are supposed to look like. Iv recently gotten 2 roosters and 2 hens and don't know which to breed because I don't know what to look for! I still have a lot of learning to do I know before I do anything other than baby these birds but I'm having 0 luck finding anything online. Hoping my apa standard of perfection book will have more insight

4. Cjarvis

Mar 5, 2011
    Your standard will be your starting point, Most OEGB that are of good show stock have been bred and selected for one sex or the other for quite some time and breeding two good birds seldom works out at all anymore. You will find there are Male and female lines very well established. Some have gone even further to establish cock and cockerel lines within the males and pullet and hen lines within the females.
    I would very strongly suggest you speak at length with the breeder you got your start from to determine what you have, what the line(s) issues are how they were culling and at what age for each issue. They are far easier to mess up than fix.

1 person likes this.
  5. ChelseysChicken

Jun 1, 2013
    North TX
    Thanks for reply. I got them from a guy who didn't know anything about them so I'm out of luck on that. [​IMG]

6. Cjarvis

Mar 5, 2011
    Given that mate each pullet to a single cockerel get 25 from that mating then switch cockerels, mate the pullet to one of her mature sons next year and a pullet to her father you will learn a great deal about your birds next year.

1 person likes this.
  7. ChelseysChicken

Jun 1, 2013
    North TX
    Awesome info thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by