Breeding your own Cornish X?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ElioraImmanuel, Mar 11, 2012.

1. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Is this possible and how do I go about doing it?

2. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Why doesn't anyone speak to me?

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I don't breed them so I'm not help. Don't get too upset though. Spring is coming, chicks are hatching and it's a sunday. I'm sure someone will help you. I've posted a question before that took 2 weeks to be noticed, but eventually I got lots of answers, so don't worry.

I hope you get some help faster though than 2 weeks. LOL

4. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    From what I know, Cornish X are a true hybrid, in that they cannot breed 'true' to type. It's not like a dual purpose or egg layer, in that if you breed a Java, you get a Java out.

As for replies - well, this isn't instant messaging. Give someone time to reply. This question is asked so often, try a search for 'breeding cornish x' up at the top and you'll find a whole bunch of information (the technical stuff and reasoning behind the above answer....I'm not qualified to put in here - I breed Java's for eggs, and purchase meat birds to eat.) I hope this helps you greatly!

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    No, you really can't do it without years of breeding. The current ones are hybrids of hybrids that took more than 50 years to develop. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.

6. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    read my byc page

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Because you must give people more than an hour to answer. Nobody is waiting around just to take care of you.

The question about breeding your own Cornish Cross has been answered approximately 567 times. The information is all available on BYC if you would like to do a minimal amount of reading.

8. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    the more appropriate guess would be 47 million.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by