breeding your own

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ttrammell, Nov 7, 2013.

1. ttrammell

ttrammell Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    SEK Pittsburg area
    Is anybody out there breeding your own "meat" chickens. Was wondering if there are any breeds that can be easily bred to produce something along the lines of a Red Ranger type forging meat chicken. I like the idea of being able to breed my own instead of having to rely on chicks from a hatchery.

Second, but related question. Will the Red Ranger naturally breed? Can I breed a Red Ranger Cock to a hen and get true birds?

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Yes you can breed your red rangers if you keep them at a decent weight. You can also with CX. I have two girls almost to sexual maturity. They are squatting and being mated, so we shall see. They are a little overweight though, and it makes me nervous. If I could, I'd keep them cooped separate during feeding time, because they tend to over eat.

I'm going to cross them to a heritage Rock. I find the CX males are too food aggressive to grow further than 12 weeks.

3. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    You could do a cross between Indian games and rock, that would make a decent meat bird but would be nowheres near as efficient on feed a commercial (rustic or otherwise) broiler bird.

And no. If you breed a 'Red ranger' cock to a 'Red ranger hen' you will not get the same thing. Redbros are the result of a 4 way matting. If you breed them you will get something. But it will not be as efficient as the terminal generation was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by