Breeding ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mylilchix, Sep 18, 2008.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

This may be a dumb question, but... If I breed my blue cochin roo to my white cochin hens, will I end up with splash cochins?

Thanks,
    Sonja

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    i would think so.

3. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    you'll probably get some blue, splash, and maybe some black and probably some white, I'm not completely sure so, I'm sorry if I'm wrong

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:only if its a blue/blue mating will you get blue. black and splash lol. something to do with both birds having the genes of it then it connecting.. or the black used to create the blue colors dominant.. I dont know lol

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  5. Hi!
    The only way I know to get splash is to breed blue x blue, blue x splash, or splash x splash.
    I'm not sure what you'd get from blue x white Cochins.
    When I crossed blue x white Silkies, I got blues, whites, off-whites, and blues with gold hackles.
    Good luck!
    Lisa

6. chicken_boy_Kurt

Mar 20, 2008
    Quote:only if its a blue/blue mating will you get blue. black and splash lol. something to do with both birds having the genes of it then it connecting.. or the black used to create the blue colors dominant.. I dont know lol

you weren't completely sure about your answer either [​IMG] I know that you get BBS from a blueXblue mating and I said maybe some black from this mating [​IMG]

7. chicken_boy_Kurt

Mar 20, 2008
    Quote:I would think that all BBS genes are the same so that's probably what you'll get mylilchix

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by