Breeds and maybe genders? :)

My3ChicksMBD

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 30, 2013
Hello! I have three chicks! I would like to know what breeds they may be. :) I have a lot of pics. Here :) This one is possibly an EE, Speckled Sussex or Brown Leghorn. I'm not sure but please tell me any you think it may be.
This one is also about 4 weeks old. Maybe even 5. I'm wondering if its a small type? I'm not exactly sure what a Pullet is... But it could be that. If you want any more pictures, please let me know. My next maybe a Black Australorp or maybe a Jersey Giant. I'm leaning towards a Giant but I'm not sure. It is also same age as the brown one.
It's feet are black and yellow. Any breeds it may be? And my next one is I think, a white Cochin rooster. Is it a roo? My mom thinks its a hen.
Thanks so much!!! ~My3ChicksMBD

I'm not sure what your first chick is, but I'd have to guess Leghorn, as the legs are yellow (Easter Eggers/Ameraucanas would have greenish legs). What type of comb does it have? And, is it the same size as the other chicks?

Your second chick is likely a Black Australorp. They are more common than Jersey Giants. What color are the bottoms of the feet? One of the toes looks yellow, but what do the pads of the feet look like?

As for your last chick, "it" looks like a White Cochin. And, due to the red comb, I'd say rooster.

You have a nice little flock of chicks! Sorry I couldn't be more helpful and positively identify all of the breeds for you.

Agree the White Cochin looks like a roo. The black chick, if the skin is white maybe Australorp, yellow then Jersey Giant. The brown one, its rather colorful for a brown leghorn but the feet are yellow, and it looks too specked for a sussex and feet should be white, an EE could look like anything but I don't see cheek puffs and the feet look yellow.

1st chick: Probably a Light-Brown or Dark-Brown Leghorn, as it has yellow legs. If it were an Easter Egger, it would have greenish legs, and if it were a Sussex, it would have white legs. For now, it looks like a pullet.
2nd chick: Most likely a Black Australorp. However, like Wyandottes7 asked, what color are the bottoms of its feet? Australorps have white bottoms, and Jersey Giants and Black Javas have yellow bottoms. Appears to be a pullet.
3rd chick: White Cochin. That comb is rather large/red, and the stance is upright, so I think its a cockerel.

I'm not sure what your first chick is, but I'd have to guess Leghorn, as the legs are yellow (Easter Eggers/Ameraucanas would have greenish legs). What type of comb does it have? And, is it the same size as the other chicks?

Your second chick is likely a Black Australorp. They are more common than Jersey Giants. What color are the bottoms of the feet? One of the toes looks yellow, but what do the pads of the feet look like?

As for your last chick, "it" looks like a White Cochin. And, due to the red comb, I'd say rooster.

You have a nice little flock of chicks! Sorry I couldn't be more helpful and positively identify all of the breeds for you.
Thank you so much!!! I just always love your answers!!! :) The first ones comb is flat. Maybe really tiny points but I can't really see them. It does look a little pointy but not like that. And the first and second chicks are the same size. The brown may be a little smaller though. The bottoms of the feet I'm pretty sure, look like the top of the feet. But thanks again!!! Five out of five sar rating for you!!! :) ;)

Agree the White Cochin looks like a roo. The black chick, if the skin is white maybe Australorp, yellow then Jersey Giant. The brown one, its rather colorful for a brown leghorn but the feet are yellow, and it looks too specked for a sussex and feet should be white, an EE could look like anything but I don't see cheek puffs and the feet look yellow.
Thank you!!! Some of the hair on the neck of the brown chick does poof out some but not really on the cheeks. And the Black one is probably a black Austrolorp because it has white on it. Thanks, again!!! :)

1st chick: Probably a Light-Brown or Dark-Brown Leghorn, as it has yellow legs. If it were an Easter Egger, it would have greenish legs, and if it were a Sussex, it would have white legs. For now, it looks like a pullet.
2nd chick: Most likely a Black Australorp. However, like Wyandottes7 asked, what color are the bottoms of its feet? Australorps have white bottoms, and Jersey Giants and Black Javas have yellow bottoms. Appears to be a pullet.
3rd chick: White Cochin. That comb is rather large/red, and the stance is upright, so I think its a cockerel.
Thank you so much!! What exactly are pullets and cockerels? And the bottoms of the black ones feet, look like the top of its foot, I'm pretty sure. :) Thanks, again!!! ;)

what type of combs do one and two have?
The first ones comb is flat. It may seem a little pointy but it doesn't seem to actually have points I don't think. As for the black one, it has I think, 6 points on its comb. I know it has points and I'm pretty sure it has 6. :)

Last edited:
I want to say that the first chick is a dark cornish, but I could be wrong on that. If the second has yellow feet bottoms and a single comb than its probably a jersey giant.

Back
Top Bottom