Breeds Australorp and Barred.. eggs.. gender.. help!

i have a very sweet cuckoo marans and a very temperamental d'uccle (the d'uccle is supposed to be very friendly) my parents have silkies and non of them have gone broody yet. they have had some yokohama's go broody and they are not supposed to be broody and they have brooded twice. some examples of were you can not go by breed description. each bird is its own being just like we humans are our

They aren't pure black they have a beautiful green sheen in the sunlight, almost like a black birds.

I will call the feedstore this week, or just stop by, and show them pictures.
Probably they won't know for sure, but at least they might be able to find out from the breeder, maybe its a mix of some sort?

Thanks for letting me know they are hens, its a relief!
Roosters aren't allowed in our town but the feed store
would take them back it wasn't a huge issue.. we were just worried with those big crowns on their heads they were all boys!

Only one barred has a small orange crown and she was younger than the other 3, I think she was just put in the wrong box.
Nobody's tail feathers was showing the 'water fall' but I wasn't sure if that would show at 6 months old.. so technically when is
a hen full grown?
Is it the age?
Or when she starts producing the eggs?

Carol in California (North)

I finally got a brown egg!!
woot.gif

so at least one of the barred is laying now!!
its SO exciting!

just so you know all birds that have black, the black tends to shimmer in the sun green...on my cayuga ducks they may also appear blue and purple depending on how the sun hits them i have yet to see that in chickens though

They have very shiny feathers in the sunlight.
I had a 4 egg day = 2 days in a row!
yippiechickie.gif

They are all laying now and gave away my first dozen to my daughter on Friday.

Saturday only brown eggs but its getting colder; its suppose to be 26 degrees tonight
and I wonder if we should put the heat lamp we got when they were chicks inside the coop?

So much for sunny California! the hard feeze warnings are up for the next couple of nights
and then back to 32 by Wednesday night.

Back
Top Bottom