Breeds/ Chick Day / New to Chickens

Acre4Me

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
We plan to get chickens this year. We have quail that live in the garage and incubated some quail eggs (which are now 4 weeks old), and husband's family had chickens for a few years (a couple of decades ago) - but, we are new to raising chickens. Coop will be built behind an outbuilding - facing east- providing good wind protection. We could put the coop inside the outbuilding (quite large, good condition, but not insulated) or outside in part of the run. Run will be an old dog run (approx 30x6ft maybe bigger).

We have a country store in the area that will be holding a chick day - order by early March, pick up day old chicks approx 1 month later). Breeds offered: Gold Comets, Welsummers, Cuckoo Maran, Buckeye, Jersey Black Giants, New Hampshire, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Barred Plymouth Rock, RIR, BO, and Black Australorp. Oh, they also have Araucanas/Ameraucanas (listed just like that) - in other words, EE!

So, we can get the chicks and brood them and wait for eggs. We have one child left at home - age 11, and this child is very interested in getting chickens (and can hardly leave the quail alone so I am sure child is interested and will probably handle these chicks a lot). Perfect project with dad and mom - building a coop!

Quite honestly, all the breeds look interesting and we could get some of each, but maybe this is not the best way to start! We want eggs and maybe some for meat, but also just for enjoyment (colorful, temperament, size - all these sound interesting). Also, the chick day indicated sexed females, but I'll ask about getting a male or two (in case one doesn't make it) - is there a breed for a rooster that is better in this situation?

I have read some other threads regarding similar: new to chickens and what to get - my takeaway is everyone has their own experience and opinion. Given the breeds I mentioned above, feel free to provide guidance and opinions.
Thx!

i dont have much experience with most of the breeds but i know wyandottes are pretty great and my friend has very small children and the are great for being handled (i am sure some chickens are different)

i dont have much experience with most of the breeds but i know wyandottes are pretty great and my friend has very small children and the are great for being handled (i am sure some chickens are different)

Thank you for the insight! Good to know that the Wyandottes are good with kids!

Back
Top Bottom