breeds for suburbia

My vote would be for the RIRs as our have been great layers even in the up and down weather we have. It got over 100 and humid here a couple of days and they took it in stride. Our Bar Rocks on the other hand did not lay well those days. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You have to decide what is eye catching to you. In our own home we all have our favs. My husband loves his Bar Rocks and Ameracaunas. I love the RIRs as they are true layers you can count on everyday. They are a beautiful shiny red. They are friendly and ours are pretty quiet but do like to share nesting boxes. WE live in the rural country so we don't have to worry about who is loud or not but we do notice. Our black stars are our meanest hens out of temperments of hens and loudest so I would stay away from that breed. Although they lay a huge egg and that is why I keep them around. I have a light Brahma Rooster that is very easy going and pretty quiet even for a rooster. I am hoping for a good hatch and lots of pullets from eggs I got from KY so he can have his own flock. I think they are a pretty bird.

Get at least 1 brahma. They are funny. And if the hatchery had them I would recomend a NN who are so ugly they are cute and have the best personalities ever.

here's an update, I got them two days ago:

I got 2 light brahmas (I wanted one light and one buff, but there were no buff available), 1 buff orpington, and 1 black australorp.

I was thinking I liked brahmas and orpingtons before I posted this, and it helped confirmed that I wanted them. some people thought orpingtons might not do very well in heat, but so many people have them around here I figured it was worth a try, plus they will have tons of natural tree shade available.

The black australorp was the "dark horse" that I found from the answers in this thread. At first I didn't really look at them, because they were "boring black" but people said really nice things about them, AND they seemed like they were very similar to the breeds I already picked out and would go well with them.

thanks for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom