Breeds I am going to order

welcome-byc.gif
those are great choices. you will be happy no matter where you get chicks. just get them and start your chicken journey from there! good luck!

well we all do have different opinions...
IMO,,, first time flock..
i would skip the leghorn.. they lay eggs but are very fighty and "active" (aka high strung)

and the welso and wynd .. just get one of each
get more buffOrp & rocks
what about RIR???
and for a first time flock, feed store chickens are JUST FINE.. untill you get a little more info and have them around a years or so and decide WHAT breed you like best... THEN invest in some good quality birds..
you could spend $42 ,for 12 birds,,,on feedstore chickens,, have several different breeds and they will help you learn..
or you could spend $160 ,,for 12 birds(like i am planning on)...for ONE breed, and then you decide you hate that breed and need to start over...
and if your neighbor dogs rips a hole in the coop and kills them all..... or a skunk.. or a coon... or a coyote....
get the cheap chickens and LEARN. make sure you pick out healthy babies..
then in a year or so, get your DREAM FLOCK

I believe leghorns are noisy! (especially if confined)
If you are looking for an egg a day I suggest a sex-link!

I think a mixed flock is pretty to watch (if you are interested in finding out if you like a specific breed: I suggest getting 3/4 of that breed) although most carry the breeds traits you do get an individual that has a personality of its own!

You could get more: than you want & sell the ones you don't like (craigslist)

here is a site to help you narrow down the different breeds, personality, production & ones that will do good in your area (it is very cold in my area -3 last night so I try to stay with pea or rose comb!
http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for all of the feedback.

Someone asked why not RIR??? I have read a number of postings here that they are one of the noisier breeds. One posting said that all of the neighbors know when they have laid an egg. I don't want a bird this noisy.

I see that some of you are not in favor of Leghorns. I have one White Leghorn on my list because I would like one white bird. I also would like one hen that lays large white eggs. I did not know they were noisy. Anyone have suggestions of other good layers of large white eggs? Maybe I have overlooked a breed. I am uncertain what other breeds of white hens the feed store will have. Their list will not be ready for a couple of more weeks. They said that they will have MANY breeds, too many toi list on the phone. They are going to have all of the breeds on my wish list.

I also considered a sex-link or two for the egg production. However, I am really trying to keep my flock size to about 12 hens. The pictures I seen of the hens did not visually appeal to me. Maybe there are better photos somewhere that would change my mind.

Someone suggested I get 1 welsummer instead of 2. Is there a reason? I would like some really dark eggs. The messages I have read have made it sound like these are the breed I should raise.

I will continue watching for additional responses and reading other threads. I will not be getting the chicks for awhile. The feedstore starts taking orders on Feb 1. The first shipments of the chicks will be arriving at the feed store around Apr 7. I still have a little time to change my mind. I am afraid that I may end up ordering 14 or 15 chicks when I see the list on Feb 1. I keeping finding more breeds I would like to raise. I will have a hard time resisting a BLRW if they are on the list. Maybe a white rock if it is on the list. hum...

I also have not started my coop yet but I have a design and have started buying the lumber. My lumber cost was reduced a little yesterday. The company I work for had a couple of large computer cabinets arrive in a 4' x 8' heavy duty wood shipping crate. I happen to sit next to the two guys that are (were) trying to figure out how to dispose of it. I quickly claimed it. I will be dismantling and picking it up on Monday. Two full sheets of plywood plus another sheet cut in half. Plus lots of 1" x 4" boards. It was only used once and the wood is like new.

One final question. The feedstore is getting their chicks from is someone in Caldwell Idaho. Does anyone have any idea who this might be? Do they have a good reputation? Are they good at sexing their chicks? I DON'T want a rooster. etc...

Thanks again for the responses.

Quote:
I just Googled "hatchery+Caldwell" and came up with 77,600 hits in .22 seconds. I will confess I did NOT look at all 77,600 hits! LOL However, the first page is nothing but "Dunlap Hatchery in Caldwell, ID". My guess is that's your hatchery.

Here is a link that will tell you a bit about them: http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_ch2xng

The website on that link doesn't work & I was not able to find one but didn't look past the first page. Do the Google yourself if you would like to look more but I'm guessing they don't have a website. And that probably tells you something right there. Nonetheless, you should be able to find enough info from that Google search to decide if you want to use them.

My advice? Go back and read the posts and comments about feedstores. Feedstores get their birds in most cases from hatcheries. And I can personally tell you that I have had to educate every single feedstore I've been in - without exception - as to the fact that what they are selling is not "Ameraucanas" but rather "Easter Eggers". None of the folks I've talked to - and they're good honest people - had a clue about what a real Ameraucana was. They simply place the order and sell what they get.

Go with the feedstore if you like but I'd be willing to bet that it won't be long before you're selling them off and upgrading to good birds that come from a breeder.

God Bless,

A pretty white hen (little bit of black) is a Delaware. I'm adding one to my flock this year. Hear they're very nice in personality as a general rule. Brown layer, though.

And, I have to tell you: I did not want a rooster this past year when I first started my flock. But they have a way of "showing up."
smile.png
Go to my Chicken Chronicles blog below and read, "My 'Girl's Only' Hen Party has a Crasher" for the hairy (feathery?) details.

My biggest surprise as a flock owner is how much I enjoy my unexpected guest. Never thought I'd say that in a million years, either...

After reading this thread I realized I probably went the wrong direction in starting my flock with hatchery chicks. I love my hens but it has become apparent that the Buff Wyandottes I ordered is what I got but something else was mixed in because a few of my hen have different combs. The hens look exactly alike except for the few with a single comb as apposed to a rose comb. Any ideas what they are. and I'm thinking of adding Gold Lace Wyandottes to my flock for next year but now I will search for a breeder to get my birds!

I just love my barred rocks <3 but they are not quiet
lol.png
They are my noisiest, and I have 9 different breeds!
hmm.png
I love their noses though. They are also my friendliest. My buff orpington is actually my LEAST friendliest (can you believe that?!). I hope when she starts laying I can tame her more. She runs very fast when I come outside, and she won't eat out of my hand. Little bugger!

My SLW is also pretty flighty. Again, she hasn't started to lay yet either, so I have high hopes as well.

No EE's on that list?!

Back
Top Bottom