Breeds needing preservation - how rare

Quote:
I agree, and I probably misuse 'heritage' like I do 'heirloom' in my veggies. Used as a term to differentiate between modern, and my personal cutoff, 1950 or so. To me, a heritage breed is an old breed, and I could personally care less that the APA would not consider Marans as such. To me, they are a legit breed that existed before 1950.

I have also assumed that the APA is mainly for birds that are judged for shows. Do they really discount Marans as a breed, or just that they do not have standards for them so are not judged at shows?

If they discount them as a breed, then that is just stupid. Yes, I said it. If they do not want to judge them in shows, fine. But just because they do not recognize them does not negate them as a breed.

And yes, I know they judge but are not available for best in show, that is not the point of this thread.

Cheri

As ar as I know Marans have not been excepted into the APA because they are newish to the USA. They are in the works to be excepted I belive but ask someone in the Marans club they can tell you more than I.

Right now Marans are excepted from the Standard. Perhaps one day they will be accepted.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom