Breeds of bantam that are friendly but also are bad flyers

Sire12

Songster
Aug 29, 2016
Northern Ireland
I'm going to hatch out some large birds, brahmas and black aussies and would like some smaller ones for a bit of variety, all true bantams seem to be good flyers though and I have a 4 foot fence, I'm leaning towards a bantam orp but if there was a different true bantam breed that are bad flyers when clipped I'd try them instead

My OEGBs, sebrights, etc fly a lot but my bantam brahma and bantam cochins don't. I don't think I've ever seen my bantam EEs or bantam cornish fly either.

Last edited:
Bantam Cochins. I don't know if they're a bit too hefty for their wings, or if it simply isn't worth it to them. Mine are perfectly content to stay on the ground. They do get on the roost with no problems, though.

Silkies are not so much on the flying thing either. But, you can run into issues mixing them in pens with large birds.

Ah ok thanks, I had considered the cochins but their feet are quite heavily feathered and the yard can get really mucky if there's alot of rain, if they only had some feathers like brahmas where it can be trimmed down easily it would probably be better for them, the silkies I had planned on getting too but I read they can be divas, really loud which I don't mind at all but I have neighbours close by :( thanks for the info guys

Last edited:
While I was searching online for eggs I came across a listing for splash australorp bantam eggs,, I know LF Aussies are quiet and don't fly much and the guy said they don't fly in his yard at all so hopefully I've found the ones I'm looking for :)

Back
Top Bottom