Breeds of these two pullets....

JodyJo

Songster
9 Years
Sep 27, 2010
Colorado
I have a mystery green egg layer....and a couple breeds I am not positive on...already posted in General Discussions, no answers yet...

at 21 weeks, found her over top of a green egg...tossing straw over her back to make a nest...I think she will be a great mama one day!

this one....(this pic is a few weeks old) rose comb, 21 weeks as well, smallish in size...not sure what breed...originally thought BSL, but not any longer...

and finally my 15 week old EE pullets, not yet mature enough to lay...

QUESTION: Who is laying the green eggs? The rest of my girls I know what breeds they are...its these top two that have me wondering....my bet is on the top hen...but what breed is she, or gene does she carry to lay a green egg? I got her from a backyard hatchery, owned by a 80+ yr old woman...she doesn't have anything exotic so....guesses anyone?

EEs are pretty popular now and most farm stores etc will carry them, so it wouldn't be unusual to find them in a backyard flock even from somebody who doesn't do exotic breeds. Her comb doesn't look like a regular single comb, so she could have had the usual peacombed EE ancestor a generation or two back, they tends to give you those rather blunted single looking combs when crossed with single combed birds.
Nothing comes to mind on the second one, could be a BSL if crossed with a Dominique I guess, is all I can think of right now.

I think its the top one that is laying the eggs because her come and wattles are really red.
I have no idea what breeds they are.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:
the 2nd pic is weeks old....her comb is just as red now...but I think the other poster is correct...since I found an egg under her....thx for the input though...

EEs are pretty popular now and most farm stores etc will carry them, so it wouldn't be unusual to find them in a backyard flock even from somebody who doesn't do exotic breeds. Her comb doesn't look like a regular single comb, so she could have had the usual peacombed EE ancestor a generation or two back, they tends to give you those rather blunted single looking combs when crossed with single combed birds.
Nothing comes to mind on the second one, could be a BSL if crossed with a Dominique I guess, is all I can think of right now.
I don't think this woman I got her from has any EE....she has quite a set up and told me before she doesn't carry any EE's...but that is all I can think of as well....I am glad if she does lay green...I picked up 3 EE's at a farm store, and one is a roo....( of course....) I love the personality of the EE, and this little red one is so sweet...you can carry her around like a cat if you want....

I have had chickens for years, but this is a new flock with new breeds, it is so much fun to see how they all turn out...I will keep an eye on chicken #2, still not sure what she is...too small for any dual purpose mix...not bantam sized either...odd...! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom