Breeds that are supposed to be winter layers are not laying

I’m just wanting to make sure this is normal, but my two black australorps and two golden laced wyandottes are not laying while my leghorns, black sex-link and ISA browns are. Does that happen sometimes? I know they are said to be winter layers but they’re the only ones not laying besides my broody and pullet that hasn’t reached POL yet.
Do you have a regular light in your coop? That can extend the winter laying season.

Have your winter layers stopped laying, or have they just not started? I know you said they're your only ones not laying besides broody and a PoL pullet, but did these girls quit on you?
Yeah, they stopped laying on me. The only ones still laying are my ISA browns, BSL & leghorns. I think my “winter layers” first started laying around end of July/beginning of August and stopped beginning of November?

Do you have a regular light in your coop? That can extend the winter laying season.
There’s a light in their coop, but I only keep it on when it’s bedtime and I’m locking up the coop. It stays on until the last chicken is up on the roost after getting a quick bite to eat and then I turn it off. I’m not looking to extend winter laying; just making sure nothing was wrong with them.

There’s a light in their coop, but I only keep it on when it’s bedtime and I’m locking up the coop. It stays on until the last chicken is up on the roost after getting a quick bite to eat and then I turn it off. I’m not looking to extend winter laying; just making sure nothing was wrong with them.
Ah, then no, nothing is out of the ordinary unless you see other more concerning symptoms

Yeah, they stopped laying on me. The only ones still laying are my ISA browns, BSL & leghorns. I think my “winter layers” first started laying around end of July/beginning of August and stopped beginning of November?
Bummer. Completely normal though. Also would have been normal if they had reached PoL and delayed giving up the goods until spring. Winter layers are more likely to keep going for you, but thats just a maybe. Chickens are an unpredictable lot sometimes! I'm not shocked about your sexlinks though, mine never stop until they are stopped by illness, injury or death.

Back
Top Bottom