Breeds that make good foragers?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cowgirl71, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I like the hens that prefer to scrounge up their own food rather than camping out at the feeder.

Which breeds would you recommend for being the best foragers? [​IMG]

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    True: Buckeyes, Dominiques, Leghorns, Rocks, are all good breeds for foraging.

3. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Quote:I guess your not really going to be interested in american games since you decided not to go with them but Old English Game Bantams(OEGB) are pretty, docile, great foragers, decent egg layers, and make awesome broodies. [​IMG] I don't know if their small size would make them an easier target for predators but they're good flyers so they can take care of themselves fairly well. If your not into slender-flightish type birds then you can try dominiques. They're good dual-purpose birds, and make good moms too. They're great foragers, and they're barred coloring is pretty good at camoflauging them. Hope this helps! [​IMG]

4. grendel

grendel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Walbridge ohio
    Definitely leghorns,Ancona,minorca,kraienkoppe,and most southeast asia and mediterrainean breeds.

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    My sussex and spitzenhaubens are good foragers. They never camp out at the dish. I actually think most chickens would rather eat bugs and grass if given the opportunity. The spitzies (as I call them) have the most beautiful shaped eggs and when you break the yolk, OMGosh, it is a bright reddish orange and yummy. Good luck with your find. Michele

6. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Thanks for all of the responses so far! [​IMG]

The Dominiques and Sussex look very interesting... I'll be doing some more research on them!

I already have RIRs, BRs, and BOs, and am looking to possibly add another breed or two.

I think I've decided against Games because they're not dual purpose. It was a tough decision, and I went back and forth on it a few times.

I forgot to mention BTW that I'm only interested in dual purpose breeds...

7. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    shamo and OEGB for sure... i guess most game breeds...

8. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:Once again; Buckeyes. They are the most active American breed - making them terrific foragers.

9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I asked this q back in the winter. Everyone must have been house bound because the responses were very long. Try this thread.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=466642&p=1

it is an interesting read on foraging and forages and which birds do it well. I've discovered that most of my birds hang around the door, unless I'm off further away, then they get brave and follow me.

My SS is at my feet when weeding, grabbing every bug, etc. Most head off to the compost heap.But some birds head off for the day like hikers.

Also, some of my birds are more predator savvy than others. A crow caws and some birds race for cover, but not all. A huge hawk flies up the drive and a hen dives under the car. And these are all hatchery birds!

I think, IMO, birds that forage well can show the next generation how it's done.
    Oddly enough My BO drift the farthest away into the woods.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  10. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quote:I agree, the Mediterranean breeds can cover some ground. They aren't very "people friendly" & would rather roam & scratch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by