Breeds which produce less eggs?

I hated my Dorkings. Great big hens with their faces shoved in the feeder all the time. Stingy little tiny eggs, when you even get any. Very poor mothers compared to breeds that are good at brooding. No laying every day in winter. Maybe once a week, for the ones that weren't perpetually broody for 15 days at a time and trying unsuccessfully to move eggs from other nests and dropping them on the floor. Mine went extinct as a breed on my place.

I am hoping my Dorkings turn out better than that, I still haven't had them long enough to go broody. They do eat a lot of feed and their eggs are small. Which for a big eating breed is a negative. However so far this winter the 2 Dorkings who just started laying early last month have laid 13 eggs a piece in a 2 week span as other breeds either stopped laying or cut down to half production. I am having contest right now between my production Reds and Dorkings to see who lays the most winter eggs they are even after 3 days with an egg a day. I have Dorkings for 2 purposes, broodiness and for crossing with meat birds. The winter laying, which I knew they did well, turned out to be even better than I expected for their first winter. First winters are always better than later winters though. Another fact about my specific Dorkings is that they take a very long time lay, hours in the nesting box. Sometimes I believe they are going broody but eventually they get up and there is the egg. "I wasn't broody it just took me 21 days to lay an egg and all these babies hatched" -Broody Dorking lol

Back
Top Bottom