Bresse Crossed wit Cuckoo Lemon Orpington...........

Pics
I found a stiff dead chick tonight. I saw a little blood by its ear, I wonder what happen. I heard it chirping or crying, but did not check up on him until a little latter. I felt like something was wrong, so I went outside to check my brooder and it was dead. I ordered them to be vaccinated and I am feeding medicated chick starter. Not sure what to make of it. The rest running around, and look healthy.
Do not feed medicated starter to cocci vaccinated chicks. Apparently the combo makes chicks more susceptible to cocci.

Do not feed medicated starter to cocci vaccinated chicks. Apparently the combo makes chicks more susceptible to cocci.
Could you please provide a reference for that? My understanding is that it can possibly negate the effects of the vaccine, leaving them unprotected. So yes, you should not do that.

I concluded that using ABCD from heritage breeds won't create fast growing broiler chickens. I got better results and a lot more info from crossing a Breese to Cornish X. In addition, what I am seeing from F2 are a few white Standard Cornish with pea comb, so I get to see the lines they used.

I always wanted a husky white Standard Cornish, but could never get them.

Last edited:
Could you please provide a reference for that? My understanding is that it can possibly negate the effects of the vaccine, leaving them unprotected. So yes, you should not do that.

Use Medicated Starter Feed for Chicks​

Unvaccinated chicks should be fed medicated starter feed that exposes them to low levels of at least one strain of coccidiosis. Do not use medicated starter feed if your chicks have been vaccinated for coccidiosis since the effects of the vaccine and medicated feed taken together cancel each other out, leaving chicks unprotected.

https://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/blog/coccidiosis-your-chickens-what-you-need-to-know/

Use Medicated Starter Feed for Chicks​

Unvaccinated chicks should be fed medicated starter feed that exposes them to low levels of at least one strain of coccidiosis. Do not use medicated starter feed if your chicks have been vaccinated for coccidiosis since the effects of the vaccine and medicated feed taken together cancel each other out, leaving chicks unprotected.

https://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/blog/coccidiosis-your-chickens-what-you-need-to-know/
Thank you for the link. Your statement is that the combo makes them more susceptible. Your reference does not say that. It says they cancel each other out, they don't say it makes it worse. That is two different things.

Freedom Ranger's comment is wrong anyway. Medicated feed does not contain any strain of Coccidiosis. Medicated feed contains medicine. In the US that medicine is almost always Amprolium but you can find some medicated feeds with different medicines. And while the medicine can cancel out the vaccine, the vaccine does not cancel out the effects of the medicine. The medicine still works.

The exaggeration is yours, there are enough myths and misinformation floating around on this forum, that's why I spoke up. The misinformation is on Freedom Rangers. I'll try to contact them and ask them to confirm that with a veterinarian.

Thank you for the link. Your statement is that the combo makes them more susceptible. Your reference does not say that. It says they cancel each other out, they don't say it makes it worse. That is two different things.

Freedom Ranger's comment is wrong anyway. Medicated feed does not contain any strain of Coccidiosis. Medicated feed contains medicine. In the US that medicine is almost always Amprolium but you can find some medicated feeds with different medicines. And while the medicine can cancel out the vaccine, the vaccine does not cancel out the effects of the medicine. The medicine still works.

The exaggeration is yours, there are enough myths and misinformation floating around on this forum, that's why I spoke up. The misinformation is on Freedom Rangers. I'll try to contact them and ask them to confirm that with a veterinarian.

I took nikkers comment to vaxxed chicks fed medicated feed were more susceptible to cocci than chicks given either treatment alone.

I was reading through a meat bird cross and found one with a Bar Rock crossed with buff Orpington. The male chicks at 9 weeks were 9 pounds, that's amazing hybrid vigor. I hope my Bresse / Orpington cross produce the same results.

I started collecting eggs for my incubator today, I got two different size eggs. One of the hens make bigger eggs.View attachment 2516140
do you have any updates on this?

do you have any updates on this?
They turned out like heritage breeds, they were good layers, but terrible meat birds. My Breese/Cornish X cross cockerels grew fast and hit 12lbs at 5 month old and some hens hit 9lbs. This cross is ideal for a sustainable meat flock, but they eat to much to keep as layers, they are best processed at 3 months old and can be fried or roasted. They average about 5lbs dressed at 3 months.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom